DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Blocking mail from a country domain

More
10 Aug 2009 18:56 #7 by galaxy60
Replied by galaxy60 on topic Blocking mail from a country domain
I take it you are running your own email server? If so I use NO-IP mail reflector it is very cheap to use on a yearly basis. Just setup your mx record to point to NO-IP mail reflector and then setup mail reflector to your IP address of your router.

This service doesn't have a country filter but it has great anti spam features and reduces inbound traffic on your internet connetion as spam gets stopped at a third party source. You can then setup a rule so only smtp inbound traffic comes from NO-IP only, any remote teleworkers would need to use a VPN connection as they would also be blocked by the firewall rule on your router, my remote users smtp server is the LAN address of the server.

Hope this is of help?

Regards,

Paul 8)

www.cctv4all.com - setup guides for CCTV engineers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2009 01:09 #8 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic Re: Thanks
onside wrote: Thanks for your suggestions. Have checked them out but we're on a tight budget with only 4 users. So free or low cost is what we're looking for but I think that's probably like looking for the holy grail. Thanks anyway. It's a shame Exchange doesn't provide a simple check box for blocking 'ru'

Hi Onside,

Not sure what exchange system you are running, Ill take a guess at SBS2003 o:) - If you can, SBS2008 with Exchange 2007 has some excellent spam filtering solutions now, far better than exchange 2003. Since we upgraded our spam has all but been wiped out.

John

• onside
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2009 09:53 #9 by onside
Replied by onside on topic Blocking mail from a country domain
Hi johntankard
Yes - it is sbs2003 and have been a bit reluctant to upgrade to 2008 as never like to fix what's working. However, the spam is a bit of an irritation now. I suspect it will push me to look at how to go about the migration whilst it is relatively quiet - have the 2008 software ready and waiting, so no excuses. Good to hear that they have given some attention to the spam issue. Happy days.
Cheers
Jim

More
12 Aug 2009 21:13 #10 by galaxy60
Hi onside, did you have a look at NO-IP solution cost around £ 30.00 per year and works like a treat. :)

• onside
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2009 23:10 #11 by onside
Replied by onside on topic no-ip
Hi Galaxy60
Have had a look at this now - thanks for the suggestion. Looks like the spam filter no-ip uses, is the spamhaus blacklist which we already use, so not sure if it would be any more effective. Clicked through to your website though and like your guides to vpn, cctv etc. Good job ! Cheers.

More
13 Aug 2009 09:20 #12 by galaxy60
Hi They have the following anti spam options

Valid Sender
Reverse DNS
Strict Reverse DNS
NO-IP Blacklist
SpamCop
Spamhaus SBL
Spamhaus XBL
Bogus MX
NJABL Combined
SORBS
Barracuda RBL
Greylist

Moderators: Sami