DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How do I set up a Vigor 2820n for USB access of NAS?

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2009 21:22 #1 by bglister
I'm probably being a little dense here, but I don't know how to set up my router to use attached storage via the USB port.

So far:
I have installed the latest firmware
Attached a FAT32 formatted USB memory stick - and it is reported through the router's control panel (at 192.168.1.1) as present and correct.

But how do I access this drive through Windows XP - and how do I input username and password to allow access to it.

I tried adding \\192.168.1.1 through My Netwrok Places, but it didn't work. It would nice to get this going so I could a home network drive for all PCs in the house to back up to. Just don't know how, and the suppled manual does not (obviously) cover this new future. Help please!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2009 09:22 #2 by voodle
What happens when you try to connect to the router's IP as a network address (\\192.168.1.1) in the address bar? If it doesn't connect, you might need to turn the Samba service on first, that's under USB General settings as Samba Service(Network Neighborhood), by default it's disabled so the USB is only accessible through FTP.

It allows guest access by default but supports different users if you make some in the USB User Management section.

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
21 Aug 2009 16:05 #3 by bglister
OK - I cannot OK using Internet Explorer or Firefox to 192.168.1.1.

If I try to add a new Network Place using \\192.168.1.1 it gives me an error message. I am a bit of a Newbie at this and could do with some hand holding. Don't really know how to set this up as a network place, but I think everything is OK on the router side of things and I have enabled Samba.

More
28 Aug 2009 11:37 #4 by davegarratt
Try adding a new network place by specifying ftp://192.168.1.1

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
28 Aug 2009 12:01 #5 by bglister
Thanks Dave. Well, I am another step closer!

I have set up the network place. Just can't get Windows to allow me access to it!! Argggh. "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you have permission etc. Parameter incorrect".

So that sounds like I don't have the right security settings in place. What is the easiest way to set this up please?

Sorry for the Q's - I'm struggling with this, but getting closer all the time.

Bryan

More
28 Aug 2009 18:56 #6 by davegarratt
I'm still trying to figure this out myself except I'm using Vista and not XP. I assume you have created users and passwords in the Vigor admin page. All you should need to do is right click on the connection you have created and select Login As .....

Moderators: Sami