DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How do I set up a Vigor 2820n for USB access of NAS?

More
02 Sep 2009 01:46 #7 by tafilaj
Replied by tafilaj on topic 2820n samba connect
I have tha same problem. the FTP works fine but no mater what user and password you put in it does not work. I have tried it on XP, vista and windows 7, non work.

Anyone had beter luck with network share?

:>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2009 10:15 #8 by voodle
I think if you want to use the FTP file sharing, it has to be enabled under System Maintenance and Management, for remote management.

For setting up vista / win7 pcs to access the NAS share, there's some instructions here:
http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/codemonkeybusiness/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270746

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2009 13:26 #9 by bglister
Thanks for that Voodle. I have to confess this all going over my head now, and what I would classify as very advanced use!

I am on XP, followed the link below, and can emulate those exact settings within XP so I will give it a try. To be honest, this new functionality looks beyond the scope of most users who just want something to work. And in the office environment, most people will probably have a server with network drives in a RAID etc anyway. Not entirely sure what value this new 'functionality' has in the real world if one has to climb a mountain to access it!

Still, I'll have another go so thanks to everyone. Let's hope we can get it to work.

More
02 Sep 2009 20:32 #10 by lantern
You need to set Vista to send LM rather than NTLM authentication.
Change:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contrl\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel

Set this value to 1( is default on 3) "send LM and NTLM "

More
09 Nov 2009 22:48 #11 by auser
Replied by auser on topic Re: 2820n samba connect

tafilaj wrote: I have tha same problem. the FTP works fine but no mater what user and password you put in it does not work. I have tried it on XP, vista and windows 7, non work.

Anyone had beter luck with network share?

I've been typing \\192.168.1.1\ from explorer and my Vista just ignored my username and password and wouldn't authenticate. But FTP works though so i assume my account is setup fine on the USB application admin page.

I tried the Part 3 of this Link http://www.draytek.com/.upload/pdffiles/49bb7065802ee5af0dd43b545051b0de.pdf

and set the policies to "Send LM
and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated" and it still didn't work.

Next I mapped my account folder to a network drive, entered my username and password and that finally worked :-)
So maybe a combination of everything did it. Now that it works for me i'm not touching it anymore - this thing is flaky as hell.

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2009 08:36 #12 by bglister
Well, this NAS is way too complicated to be of any use to the average user. I could not set it up so, unlike me, I have given up. Things like this, in this day and age, should "just work" (within reason). Users should not have to dabble with advanced settings or registry hacks. If it need that, it is out of reach for 99% of users and should not be extolled as a benefit of the hardware.

That's my 10p worth!

Moderators: Sami