Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up ActiveSync through 2820

• alexjeffery
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2009 08:55 #1 by alexjeffery
Setting up ActiveSync through 2820 was created by alexjeffery
Hi Everyone

Could anyone help me please, i am trying to set-up ActiveSync to connect from iphones to Exchange 2007 server, but it is unable to establish a connection, i have tried it internally through our WLAN connection and it works fine but when attempting to go through the 2820 it does not seem to want to work. I have the following ports set-up in NAT to forward to the mail server:

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2009 09:23 #2 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Setting up ActiveSync through 2820
Why all those open ports??? You only need TCP ports 25 (SMTP) and 443 (HTTPS), unless you're also delivering POP and IMAP (which are generally not needed or advised) in which case you want 995 & 993 open as well.

You don't say what your architecture behind the 2820 is (e.g., whether you have ISA 2006), so the cause may well be there. For the 2820, make sure you don't have HTTPS remote access enabled on 443. Either disable it or move it to a different, unused port. You do this on the 2820 via System Maintenance -> Management.

• alexjeffery
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2009 09:27 #3 by alexjeffery
Replied by alexjeffery on topic Setting up ActiveSync through 2820
Hi

Thanks for your reply

in my mass of confusion of trying to make this work, i stupidly followed microsoft's bit of what ports they need to be opened, I dont have an ISA server in place so i am trying to forward these straight to the Exchange server. I have disabled the remote access on 443 aswell

I have also now removed the excess ports so the only ones being forwarded are 25 and 443. but still no luck.

Alex

More
16 Sep 2009 09:36 #4 by cocospm
OK, I still don't know what you have behind the 2820 - are we talking about a single-server Exchange 2007, on Windows Server 2008 or SBS 2008?

What happens when you try to use Outlook Anywhere from a PC by navigating to https://yourdomain.com/exchange? Do you get any certificate errors or warnings? Have you installed any necessary certificate on the iPhone?

Here's a good description of how to configure an iPhone for use with Exchange 2007:

http://www.chemlab.org/2008/12/08/configure-exchange-2007-apple-iphone

• alexjeffery
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2009 12:16 #5 by alexjeffery
Replied by alexjeffery on topic Setting up ActiveSync through 2820
Hi, Sorry it is a single exchange 2007 machine on Windows Server 2008 r2. The error we see on the iphones is "The Connection to the server failed", as this works if we run the phones through the internal network then we have come to the conclusion it must be something to do with the firewall.

Thanks

Alex

More
16 Sep 2009 12:43 #6 by cocospm
Work through the questions/suggestions in my previous post.

The symptoms do not necessarily point to the firewall as the problem. If you do the OWA test I suggested, this will confirm whether or not port 443 is forwarded OK, and indicate whether you have a certificate problem. If port 443 is OK through the firewall, then you do not have a firewall problem.

What is the Exchange server address you are entering into the iPhone? This will need to be the public FQDN of your router, not the internal LAN address of the server (which I'm guessing you used when testing internally).

If you can't provide the details of what you are doing, it won't be easy to help you.

Otherwise, try MS's Exchange connectivity analyzer, here: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Moderators: Sami