DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Exchange dropouts using 2820 series

• supportlounge
  • Topic Author
More
29 Sep 2009 09:45 #1 by supportlounge
Exchange dropouts using 2820 series was created by supportlounge
I have a client who was experiencing Outlook freezing regularly on all PCs. In this case it was using hosted Exchange. They were using a 2820 in their office for load balancing. It seems that there is a dropout of connectivity to the server which Outlook wasn't expecting and it throws the application out of kilter.

Sometimes it will recover but at other times they end up rebooting their PCs. We've changed their switch, but this happened to PCs plugged directly into the router. We've also changed their ISP but this hasn't improved things.

It wasn't the load balancing at issue, we've bound machines to specific WANs to no avail.

When my client took the 2820 out of the equation, the problem ceased.

I believe they're running firmware v 3.3.1.2

I myself have a 2820vn and I too experience dropouts in connection to my local exchange server, but at least Outlook has the courtesy to recognise this and tell me that my connection has been lost or has been restored.

I'm running firmware v. 3.3.2.1

So it appears to me that there's something a little peculiar going on with the 2820 series, at least with regard to Exchange connectivity.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any comment from Draytek or SEG?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2009 21:41 #2 by larrylloyd
Replied by larrylloyd on topic Dual WAN's
I know you've said you've bound the PC's to specific WAN's but have you tried it with a single WAN?
Although I've used dual WAN's, I dont trust the 'dual' setup....

• supportlounge
  • Topic Author
More
03 Oct 2009 23:15 #3 by supportlounge
Replied by supportlounge on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
Yes, tried single wan.

More
04 Oct 2009 12:07 #4 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
are they using any of the DOS functionality?

If yes, then try disabling it all for a while.

• supportlounge
  • Topic Author
More
04 Oct 2009 12:14 #5 by supportlounge
Replied by supportlounge on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
Sorry, but client can't afford to try grasping at straws.

Using the Draytek cripples the functionality of their business and if I suggest putting the router back in place they will tell me where to go.

If no-one can say for sure "this is definitely your problem" then I'm afraid neither I nor my client can afford to waste time on a piece of hardware that should just work.

I'm fed up with kit, tech support, service providers and vendors not doing what they say on the tin they will do.

I'm sick of this business.

More
05 Oct 2009 09:14 #6 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
I'm not sure what your looking for here then.

If you need definate answers and aren't able\willing to try suggestions then to be honest your probably better off talking to Draytek support and not asking for help on a user forum.

Going back to the issue, I have had similar experiences with outlook and turning off DOS fixed it, BUT I do connect over a VPN connect to work. So I can't say for sure that it will solve your problem.

And yes I agree entirely with your sentiment. These problems are no longer just limited to the IT industry, just about everything that runs any form of software is getting more flaky by the day :(

Moderators: Sami