DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Exchange dropouts using 2820 series

More
05 Oct 2009 15:03 #7 by larrylloyd
Replied by larrylloyd on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
Hey SupportLounge, I'm with you on the frustration with Draytek!!!
However, I have to agree with Drewy, These tech forums will only ever be a best endevour arrangement, besides, you never know who you might be getting the advice from.
I've been in IT for over 15 years, BUT, I try to be more 'hands off' now, which means I tend to lose touch with the pace of the Admin side of technology! :(
Besides, I'm getting old a senile now :)

I'm seriously thinking of swapping all our routers across the country with Cisco, for the guarantees!
However, as we've got more than ten, thats, quite a few £K.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• supportlounge
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2009 18:10 #8 by supportlounge
Replied by supportlounge on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
I tried talking to Draytek support, but it's not really technical support any more.

I don't have confidence in a foreign call centre. They sound like they're reading a script and I have trouble communicating in my native language - English.

You used to be able to get hold of someone in the UK, but to be honest every time I spoke to anyone at Draytek they sounded like they resented having to talk to other people, even if you were making a purchase.

I'm not trying to be negative, but there's plenty of discussion going on in the trade about how dire everything is and where are we going to. I'm one of the few that's decided to jump ship before I get pushed.

Nothing works in this bloody country any more. Post is turning up 2 or 3 months late. We can't even deliver a damn letter so it's no wonder that tech support and product quality suck too.

I'd rather beg out of this job than get stuck trying to fix the problem.

More
14 Oct 2009 16:49 #9 by alan.hancock
Replied by alan.hancock on topic Exchange dropouts using 2820 series
I once got very frustrated because I couldn't work out why my 2800 gave stable internet access EXCEPT to online banking sites.

Some genius on this site gave me the solution and it is was to do with using multiple static public IP addresses to access especially secure sites such as online banking (where the point of origin of each request is re-checked constantly to confirm that the original remote user is still the party which began transacting).

So, without frstrating an already frustrated person with a hail of technobabble, you might want to check whether your office router uses multiple static public IP addresses AND if its feasible that the hosted Exchange service could be paranoid about secuirty to the extent that it keeps checking the client's IP address (or whether any of your office users reported problems with online banking).

If yes to the above, then read http://www.support.draytek.co.uk/kb_vigor_multinat.html and ensure that a few innocent-looking checkboxes relating to 'Join IP Pool' are unchecked, otherwise the hosted end of your office solution may be getting confused about where exactly your clients are popping up on the internal network.

Failing that - i hear Corporate Banking pays well eg for a new career ;-)

More
21 Oct 2009 12:17 #10 by hairymonster
Replied by hairymonster on topic @supportlounge
Interesting, I thought that this problem was Outlook-related rather than anything else. I find that if Outlook (2k7) loses the connection, then it takes 5-10 minutes of disk access before it responds again, whilst it ensures that the ost file is consistent.

However, this seems to have stopped happening, and could be down to a Windows Update.

Moderators: Sami