DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

HTTPS / Heartbeat interval life on 2820?

More
19 Mar 2010 14:38 #7 by j-law
Replied by j-law on topic HTTPS / Heartbeat interval life on 2820?
Hey Swests,

I have not yet got this resolved. As I only have 3 users at the moment using Iphones, I simply set the phones to only sync on a manual basis. This works for the moment.

I had not come across that Experts-exchange article, so might just give that a go sometime. If you have some success with it, please let me know.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2010 14:40 #8 by swests
Replied by swests on topic HTTPS / Heartbeat interval life on 2820?
Hi J-Law

Just implemented the two reg changes - left them at 0 and restarting IIS as I type...

Will let you know what happens <gulp>

More
19 Mar 2010 16:35 #9 by swests
Just a quick note back to say, nothing in the logs for the last 2 hours... :D

Lets see what the weekend brings! :shock:

More
20 Mar 2010 09:29 #10 by swests
Got just 2 messages over night, so not 100% better.

I've been tweaking the min and max vales and assuming that the router times out at 60 seconds I have set Min to 30 secs and Max to 50 secs. IISRESET and now we wait and see (again)...

More
22 Mar 2010 09:08 #11 by j-law
Replied by j-law on topic HTTPS / Heartbeat interval life on 2820?
What are your ISS logs looking like? Mine grow to about 100mb showing each user's active sync connections, over and over again.

Since you made the changes, has the frequency of these inbound sync connections lowered?

Thanks for posting back and keeping this thread updated!

More
22 Mar 2010 11:58 #12 by swests
AAARGH - well that didn't work. ActiveSync message still appearing and yes, IIS logs are now massive! And the extra work is draining the iPhone batteries like only an iPhone battery can drain!

I did some more research and also contacted Draytek support - their suggestion is to change the TCP SYN timeout to more than 540 (the default is 60). Microsoft suggest at least 900 secs.. so I've reset the registry back, deleting the Mix and Max timeout values and used portmaptime -s 900 on the router.

The reply from Draytek is as follows

The HTTPS time out value is not available on the router. To resolve active sync issues, normally TCP SYNC values is changed. It requires a larger value like 540 secs.

TCP Sync applies to all TCP protocols which in theory should also apply to HTTPS/SSL even with different port number.

My portmaptime settings are now...
Code:
> portmaptime -l ------ Current setting ------ TCP Timeout : 86400 sec. UDP Timeout : 120 sec. IGMP Timeout : 10 sec. TCP WWW Timeout: 900 sec. TCP SYN Timeout: 900 sec.

So as you can see I've increased TCP WWW and TCP SYN from the default of 60.

Let's see what the next 24 hours brings...

Moderators: Sami