DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 firmware?

More
31 Jan 2010 14:08 #1 by ukengb
Vigor 120 firmware? was created by ukengb
I have to disagree with you on that. I have Draytek's pdf:-

"Vigor120 Series ADSL2/2+ Modem User’s Guide"

and in this it explicitly explains and illustrates how to set up and control NAT routing. The screenshots quite clearly show the same basic menu structure, but with additional options that are disabled or simply not present when I login to mine.

So unless that pdf is a printing error, there is NO question that this device can operate as more than a basic bridge and let's face it, it is only a software variation so different firmware could certainly produce different versions of a single piece of hardware with different functionality.

So we just need to get hold of the alternative firmware that will allow the hardware's full potential.

BTW, the reason I want to do this is not to get something cheap, but just because my requirements have changed slightly and I would prefer to not have to buy different hardware when a fully functional version of what I have would fully support my requirements.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2010 19:35 #2 by redleader
Replied by redleader on topic Vigor 120 firmware?
Anyone found out any info on this.

More
24 Feb 2010 23:28 #3 by jaras123
Replied by jaras123 on topic Vigor 120 firmware?
You're right, UKenGB. This piece of hardware is sold in different versions worldwide. It looks like router functionality is disabled in UK but enabled in US, Australia and few other countries I've checked.

The manual is misleading. No surprise I couldn't find it on UK support site, I guess, it has been removed as it wasn't compatible with UK version of hardware. I thought it must have been some mistake so I kept seeking it and found it on US site. I was impressed by its configuration capability, so I purchased device in the UK, as I was certain it was a router. What a disappointment! Now I'm going to return it. It's not what I was looking for!

Why there isn't any information available on Draytek UK site that the UK version is DIFFERENT? How many more customers were lured by the manual to purchase it?

By the way, I took the chance and tried to upgrade firmware with few other versions found on foreign Draytek websites. Modem worked fine, but no new functions were available.

More
25 Feb 2010 07:30 #4 by anyoldname
Replied by anyoldname on topic Vigor 120 firmware?

jaras123 wrote: Why there isn't any information available on Draytek UK site that the UK version is DIFFERENT? How many more customers were lured by the manual to purchase it?

"The DrayTek Vigor 120 is an ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection; it is not a router but a true ADSL Ethernet Modem."

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

It can't be much clearer, can it?

More
25 Feb 2010 10:18 #5 by jaras123
Replied by jaras123 on topic Vigor 120 firmware?

anyoldname wrote:

jaras123 wrote: Why there isn't any information available on Draytek UK site that the UK version is DIFFERENT? How many more customers were lured by the manual to purchase it?

"The DrayTek Vigor 120 is an ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection; it is not a router but a true ADSL Ethernet Modem."

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

It can't be much clearer, can it?

No, it's not clear when you read product description, datasheet or user manual, all available on the global site:
http://www.support.draytek.com/user/PdInfoDetail.php?Id=71

These are what I always read before purchasing any device, just to get familiar with their functionality. No datasheet or user manual was available on UK site, so I searched the global one and found them. How could I know they had nothing to do with UK version of the hardware?

What I expected from Draytek UK would be some warning that documentation available from global site is useless and misleading for UK customers. Or better, there should be different datasheet and user manual available to download from UK site, so nobody would look for them somewhere else.

More
25 Feb 2010 12:19 #6 by anyoldname
Replied by anyoldname on topic Vigor 120 firmware?

jaras123 wrote: No datasheet or user manual was available on UK site

So you looked on the UK website (to discover that there wasn’t a datasheet or user manual) and didn't see the opening sentence on the product page?

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your Vigor120?

Moderators: Sami