DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 firmware?

More
25 Feb 2010 14:28 #7 by redleader
Replied by redleader on topic Vigor 120 firmware?

anyoldname wrote:

jaras123 wrote: No datasheet or user manual was available on UK site

So you looked on the UK website (to discover that there wasn’t a datasheet or user manual) and didn't see the opening sentence on the product page?

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your Vigor120?

You seem to have a rather defensive agenda. The statement on the Vigor 120 maybe clear with hindsight but it's not a substitute for a user manual. If the website stated that the UK model does not have the same functionality as the worldwide version and also had a dedicated UK manual then your slightly chippy response might be more justified. As it does not, what's you point?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2010 15:39 #8 by anyoldname
Replied by anyoldname on topic Vigor 120 firmware?

redleader wrote: You seem to have a rather defensive agenda.

No agenda

redleader wrote: The statement on the Vigor 120 maybe clear with hindsight but it's not a substitute for a user manual. If the website stated that the UK model does not have the same functionality as the worldwide version and also had a dedicated UK manual then your slightly chippy response might be more justified. As it does not, what's you point?

My point is, of all the UK resellers I've seen, on their websites, they all state that it's a modem and not a router. So it's not with hindsight, it's something I checked out before I bought mine.

However; I would agree that the manual is misleading in its European Community Declaration.

More
25 Feb 2010 17:00 #9 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Vigor 120 firmware?
Although I WAS aware of exactly what I was buying at the time, it is in fact VERY unclear when the only downloadable manual for this exact product states QUITE CLEARLY it is a fully functional router with (as I have already mentioned) instructions with illustrations about setting up NAT and the firewall. If that isn't misleading I don't know what is, so IMO it's a bit rich to start expounding on here about how clear it is.

I have circumvented the problem buy installing a Vigor 2820, although at more than twice the price of the 120. However, it is obviously a far more capable router in all respects and so far has been 100%.

I do think the 120 is a marvellous product that uniquely offers the ability to bridge PPPoA and PPPoE, but in the end I went a different route (through no fault of the Vigor). However, Draytek should be much clearer with regard to what products they are offering, where and in what specification.

More
25 Feb 2010 17:42 #10 by jaras123
Replied by jaras123 on topic Vigor 120 firmware?

anyoldname wrote:

jaras123 wrote: No datasheet or user manual was available on UK site

So you looked on the UK website (to discover that there wasn’t a datasheet or user manual) and didn't see the opening sentence on the product page?

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your Vigor120?

I always trust documentation on first place. Opening sentence you mentioned and documentation from the global site are contradictory. As there was no specific documentation for UK version I trusted this one I found and took Draytek UK statement for granted. There isn't many devices available which could work as simply as ADSL modem, most of them are obsolete. So I thought this piece of hardware is marketed as the only modern one able to work both as router or modem.

I bought my device from dabs.com, they simply copied all the product description from Draytek UK site. I guess, other distributors do the same. It means nothing to me, description is not documentation.

Moderators: Sami