DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 and Apple Airport Extreme

More
12 Feb 2010 23:33 #1 by apl
Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience of getting my Airport online with a Vigor 120 as it should have been a lot easier after reading through the information on this site.

The theory is fine, connect the Vigor 120 with the supplied cable to the WAN port of the airport and and configure the Airport for PPPoE with your username and password, remembering not to put anything in the service field.

I did all of that but couldn't get the Vigor to connect, the Airport reported that it couldn't find the PPPoE server and the IP address was set to 0.0.0.1

I guessed that maybe I had my authentication details wrong, I ended up taking the Vigor to work with me so I could take a look at the settings.

The first thing I had to find out was it's IP address, the Vigor 120 can be accessed on 192.168.2.1 with a web browser. I use a Mac so opened a connection with Safari. Safari reported that it had errors opening the page and although I carried on I couldn't see any way to navigate, the left menu was missing.

I switched to Firefox and the left menu was back but looked like the style sheet was missing along with several icons. I had blue links on a blue background which made it hard to read. I noticed that the firmware wasn't current so I downloaded the latest version and wondered what the two identical size files were. It turned out that one updates the firmware but resets back to factory defaults and the other does the same but without the reset.

On the bag that came with the Vigor 120 was a sticker saying that it was pre-set to connect in the UK so I decided to install the new firmware but not reset back to factory defaults. The firmware installed OK but the interface still looked bad.

I brought the 120 home and decided to connect it directly to my Mac laptop and create a PPPoE service with my username and password, still no luck, it wouldn't connect.

The last thing I tried was a reset back to factory defaults, as soon as I did this a page appeared suggesting that I wait 10 seconds and connect back to the router on 192.168.1.1 which failed so I tried the previous address of 192.168.2.1 which worked, maybe this should be corrected in the next firmware update?

The interface looked a lot different, the menu loaded first time, no missing graphics and the links were yellow on blue. I tried connecting again and within seconds I was online.

I disconnected and reconnected the 120 to the Airport and within seconds it had reconnected to the Internet without any further intervention by me.

I'm pleased it now works but disappointed that it came set up unable to connect.

The internet light on the 120 doesn't light up either which means that you can't tell at a glance whether it is connected to the internet.

So the morale of this story is try a factory reset if it doesn't connect out of the box.

Alan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2010 11:28 #2 by redleader
Replied by redleader on topic Vigor 120 and Apple Airport Extreme
The internet light will never light up on the UK version of the Vigor 120 and would not be applicable to your connection type anyway. Vigor 120s come in different versions dependant on geographic location and the UK version has all features bar full bridge modem disabled. International version can be set up to provide many functions other than just full bridge including being a full fire-walled NAT router (ideal for a wired single computer connection without a separate router).

I've tried the other firmware versions but it does not restore the functionality that the Australian, NZ, US and other versions have. I am guessing that there is a second level of firmware that would need to be flashed to do this - a shame as I would like the flexibility of being able to choose what features I want to use and how I set up my connection. That said it works extremely well as a simple but very expensive full bridge modem.

I also have a Vigor 120 connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. The connection speed and stability are the best I have had from any setup so far. When it first arrived mine also needed a firmware update to the UK recommended version (332201) as it worked but was slow and having disconnects on the version it came with (321311). Safari was able to open the web based setup on 192.168.2.1 but all attempts to update the firmware did not complete until I tried using Internet Explorer. It's been brilliant ever since and never needs touching now. The problem is that this level of initial messing around means that non technical users are not being catered for and seems a wasted opportunity for Draytek as they must be loosing customers (especially with no instructions in the box as well).

More
14 Feb 2010 18:14 #3 by acetheviper
Replied by acetheviper on topic Vigor 120 + Time Capsule
Hi,

Can I ask a question?

We have just purchased the Vigor 120 and a time capsule. We have the 2 working, and can surf the web and send / receive emails, BUT when we try to use an FTP client, we can download files to our computer but as soon as we try to transfer files up to the internet web server, the system hangs and the files are not sent.
Are you having an issue, have you tried this, can you try this, do you get the same problem?
Would love to hear any suggestions to solve this, have been to apple, but they say it is not a fault with them...
Regards
Phil

More
15 Feb 2010 12:22 #4 by apl
Replied by apl on topic Vigor 120 and Apple Airport Extreme
Hi Phil,

I'll have a go this evening with my FTP software and let you know.

One quick test you could try is to bypass the Airport altogether and connect the Draytek directly to your computer. Then set up a PPPoE connection and see if it allows you to send files via FTP.

You don't mention whether you are using a Mac or PC or what FTP software or whether it is set to use a passive connection.

Regards Alan

More
15 Feb 2010 13:12 #5 by acetheviper
Replied by acetheviper on topic Vigor 120 and Apple Airport Extreme
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try plugging the Draytek directly into my computer as you suggest, and will let you know how I get on.

Regarding my set up, currently am using a Apple G5 desktop. We also have a Mac book Pro and we can not FTP from that either.
The software we normally use is called 'Transmit' and it is set to use a passive connection. We have also tried using two other FTP programs, 'Yummy FTP' and 'Cyberduck', but have been unsuccessful each time we try to FTP files.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!
Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
Phil

More
15 Feb 2010 13:58 #6 by apl
Replied by apl on topic Vigor 120 and Apple Airport Extreme
Hi Phil,

I also use Transmit so at least we're using the same software for FTP.

Regards Alan

Moderators: Sami