DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to get Sky Fibre working with 2850 guide

• ethernet_jockey
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2014 12:08 #13 by ethernet_jockey
Replied by ethernet_jockey on topic Re: How to get Sky Fibre working with 2850 guide
Tried this with a 2860 firmware 3.7.1 but setting dhcp option 60 + option 61 I get the message "Too many inputs!!!" Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ethernet_jockey
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2014 12:49 #14 by ethernet_jockey
Replied by ethernet_jockey on topic Re: How to get Sky Fibre working with 2850 guide
OK ignore last post : upgrading 2860 to firmware 3.7.3 worked for me. Thanks for info.

• abbas
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2014 11:23 #15 by abbas
Hello!

Just wanted to say that I set up my new Vigor 2860n yesterday and am quite pleased with it. The whole set-up to connect to Sky took about 10 minutes and the router has been up and running with no reboots for the last 14 hours or so. The process was made smooth for me by the good and hard work of other contributes, and that took me a while to find after a lot of search on the web. Thank you Kankan, gatecrasher3, babis3g, ethernet_jockey and others. I sued babis3g's approach for implementing DHCP options 60 & 61, which was easier than telneting.

My router came with firmware 3.7.3.3 and I didn't even have to do any upgrades :D

One thing I don't understand: Why ISP's like Sky make life difficult for their subscribers!! They are very well aware that people can and will get around their primitive routers and hidden information such username and password. Why not try and be helpful and have happy customers. I was forced to move to Sky because I was an O2 subscriber and will most likely switch to another ISP at the end of my contract because they do not provide static IP address.

Thanks

• andrew@macaddress.co.uk
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2014 12:04 #16 by andrew@macaddress.co.uk
Replied by andrew@macaddress.co.uk on topic Re: How to get Sky Fibre working with 2850 guide
I have a 2860n and cannot get it working with sky ! I have the user name and password which I got using wireshark ! Can someone tell me all the settings I need to do to get it up and working ?

In the status page I can see speed etc ! I also have firmware 3.7.3.3 !

• abbas
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2014 16:43 #17 by abbas
Hi Andrew;

I will try to outline the steps I took for setting up my 2860n (mostly are already listed by other contributors and are acknowledged):

1) Upgrade to firmware 3.7.3.3 (for you an I, this already is done by the manufacturer)
2) Get the username password (macaddress@skydsl|password) for the DHCP Option 61, using Wireshark, which you have already done.
3) Get your Sky router serial and it's associated information for the DHCP Option 60, again using Wireshark. This block of data is immediately after the username/password block. Use the same method you did for extracting the username/password. It's possible (but I am not sure) to use 1.15h.2138.R|001|SR101|serial_number if your router is SR101 or 2.1m.3173.R|001|SR102|serial_number, if it is SR102. The serial_number is written on your router.
4) Login to the 2860:
4.1) WAN >> General Setup >>
WAN1 Page>> Enable: Yes; Display Name: Vigor2860 (optional); DSL Mode: VDSL2 only; DSL Modem Cable: Default; VLAN Tag insertion Enable, Tag value: 101; OK
WAN >>Internet Access >> WAN1 Access Mode: MPoA / Static or Dynamic IP; click Details Page:

Select MPoA / Static or Dynamic IP Page:
Enable
Multi-PVC channel: Channel 2
Encapsulation: 1483 Bridged IP LLC
VPI: 0
VCI:101
MTU 1500
Select Obtain an IP address automatically
Router Name: Vigor (you can put anything; but I don't think you can leave it as blank)
Domain Name: Sky (again, can put anything; but I don't think you can leave it as blank)
DHCP Client Identifier for some ISP: Enable; and put the username password obtained above.
MAC Address: you can leave it as default or enter the MAC address in username.
Don't select "Specify an IP address"; the fields will be update once you have your connection established.
Probablly you have done all these; but the trick part is to configure the DHCP options:
4.2) LAN >> General Setup >>
Click on the Advance button (in the middle of the page):
Data Type: ASCII
Option Number: 60
Data: Enter 1.15h.2138.R|001|SR101|serial_number, 2.1m.3173.R|001|SR102|serial_number or anything else extracted in Step 3, above.
Click Add
Option Number: 61
Data: Enter macaddress@skydsl|password extracted in Step 2.

(These DHCP options are part of the WAN; I am not sure why DrayTek have included them in the LAN section, which can easily be missed out of the configuration.)

The DHCP options can also be configured via telneting to the router; but I prefer this approach.

Reboot your router.

... And that should be it.

I ran speed test on both routers; the results very much the same.

Hope this helps.

• andrew@macaddress.co.uk
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2014 08:09 #18 by andrew@macaddress.co.uk
Replied by andrew@macaddress.co.uk on topic Re: How to get Sky Fibre working with 2850 guide
Thanks for this Abbas !

These still did not ! After submitting a Support Ticket to draytek/seg, I got another set of install instructions with a beta firmware to try, which I will and then update this forum !