Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 and 3.7.8.2

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2015 09:41 #1 by c128
2860 and 3.7.8.2 was created by c128
Hi,

Realise there's a thread for the 2760, but wondered if anyone had tried 3.7.8.2 with a 2860 and could share some experiences?

I'm having problems with external WOL (WOW?) packets not making it through onto my local network, and Draytek support have suggested it works for them with 3.7.8.2 and for me to try again with this latest firmware; I'm currently on 3.7.8.1, with no issues other than the WOL thing (see here: http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19350 ).

The 2760 issues with wi-fi on 3.7.8.2 look a bit of a worry, if universal, and I'm loathe to upgrade my live system to 3.7.8.2 as I have clients reliant on it.

Any issues with 3.7.8.2 and a 2860?

Ta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2015 12:14 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2
I have a 2860 on the latest 3.7.8.2 (vectoring version as Draytek say it should work OK even though my line doesn't appear to have been "rolled out").

I can wake my server using WOL from my iphone on 3G, using port redirection to send UDP packets to port 9 on the server. As far as I can tell both 2.4 and 5 wifi are working fine. With a much earlier firmware I had a problem with the wifi apparently being faster than the wired LAN but that was sorted a while ago.

Only "problem" at the moment is that after 6 weeks or so of (to me) rock solid 36 download in "Fast" mode, suddenly interleaving was switched on a couple of weeks ago and I have lost about 5 Mb download speed. But I don't know if that's anything to do with the router.

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2015 18:39 #3 by c128
Replied by c128 on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2
Sounds promising :)

Thanks for that, I'll give an upgrade a go tonight...

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2015 19:43 #4 by c128
Well, I've updated, and all is well...bar external WOL :?

WOL works fine *within* my LAN, but not from an external source; Wireshack shows WOL packets received when sent from the 2860 itself, an Android app when the phone has a local IP or from the Linux command line on a machine with a local IP, but nothing when sent from the same Android app over 4G, from a work machine or Amazon EC2 instance on the linux command line, or from wakeonlan.me web service.

To summarise:

* I have "Open Ports" setup quite broadly: TCP/UDP Ports 6-9 open on WAN2 for the private IP of the machine: 192.168.1.17
* I have the 192.168.1.17 IP address setup via "Bind IP to MAC" to the internal machine's MAC address
* I'm directing external WOL packets to the IP address of WAN2
* I've tried telnet-ing in to the router and executing "wol fromWan on" and "wol fromWan any"
* I'm now on firmware 3.7.8.2 - I did a ".rst" flash and then restored the backed-up config
* This didn't work for me with 3.7.8.1 either
* This used to work with a 2820, and I *think* it might have worked once upon a time with my 2860, but not for a while...

Can anyone see what I'm missing here, what else I might try?

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2015 19:57 #5 by c128
Eh...I guess I should be able to see the arrival of the external WOL packet in Wireshark?
I've been using Wireshark for debugging this for a while now, as the machine I'm trying to wake wasn't waking from an external source (and it was a bit of rigmarole to keep checking it to see if changes had made it wake, as it's in my loft).

When doing this I'm running Wireshark on a different machine on my network...

I *do* see the WOL packets sent from internal clients within Wireshark, so assumed this was a valid way to diagnose whether externally sent packets were turning up too, but should I actually be seeing the externally set packets, if I'm using it on a machine that isn't the target?

More
21 Jun 2015 09:14 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2
Sorry, I've never used Wireshark so can't help there. The only apparent difference between your setup and mine is that I'm using the router's vdsl connection WAN1. But that shouldn't matter should it?