DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 and 3.7.8.2

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2015 14:56 #7 by c128
Replied by c128 on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2

Piste Basher wrote: Sorry, I've never used Wireshark so can't help there. The only apparent difference between your setup and mine is that I'm using the router's vdsl connection WAN1. But that shouldn't matter should it?

Nah, don't think so.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, somewhere along the line, this has all started working again - possibly as a result of flashing a ".rst" firmware and then reinstating my settings separately - and that Wireshark just doesn't actually show the packets when, in reality, it would just work. Once the server I'm actually trying to wake goes to sleep again, I shall try waking it...

Thanks for the info though, has been very useful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jun 2015 08:38 #8 by c128
...and, it works!

Excellent - so, whatever was stopping it earlier, may have been related to crufty settings and not using a .rst flash (best guess).

On a semi-related note - 3.7.8.2 seems to be fine for me in general too, not noticed any issues (yet).
Wi-fi seems fine over both 2.4GHz and 5GHz clients - mixture of Android, laptops and set-top boxes.

More
22 Jun 2015 15:06 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2
Great!

• press2talk
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jun 2015 18:30 #10 by press2talk
Replied by press2talk on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2
Hi All,

I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and upgraded our 2860vn+ to fw 3.7.8.2, experienced awful wifi throughput performance, also tried the .rst option and restored from backup still didn't improve the wifi throughput. From memory 5ghz performance dropped off when connecting via a MacBook Pro. Did raise a support ticket with Draytek. In the end ended up downgrading to 3.7.8.1, wifi throughput better but nowhere as good as it should be with a premium product like the 2860vn+. One issue we do experience with fw 3.7.8.1 is the LAN-LAN VPN tunnel will randomly drop and not recover, only way to clear is to reboot, any one else have this issue? Would like to know if resolved in 3.7.8.2

Good luck!

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2015 08:18 #11 by c128
Can't claim to be any sort of power user with wi-fi but...we have multiple Android devices (phones, Nexus tablet and Chromecast), set top boxes (Amazon Fire Stick and NowTV) and laptops - no iOS devices though. They connect mostly over 2.4GHz, but with some connecting over 5GHz; I'm in easy reach of the 2860 most of the time, I ought to say, as it's in the loft and the signal is through plasterboard ceilings. All connections are WPA2 secured.

TBH, although it's *very* early days, I've not seen any difference between the earlier firmwares and 3.7.8.2.
I used a laptop for most of last night over 5GHz and I was getting a reliable ~75Mbps connection, which seemed pretty good.

Do seem to be a few other people with issues with wifi though, which seems a bit of a worry...

• octoinkjet
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jun 2015 01:11 #12 by octoinkjet
Replied by octoinkjet on topic Re: 2860 and 3.7.8.2
Current issues I'm seeing with 3.7.8.2 and the 2860vn+:

1. 4G regularly drops out and refuses to even recognise the dongle (Alcatel L800) so reboot or physical remove/re-insert required to get back up again
2. VOIP does not ring in over 4G presumably due to the NAT that goes on with the L800
3. "WAN Connection Detection" for 3G and 4G does not work when set to Ping Detect. Instead it constantly reboots the router requiring removal of dongles to be able to reset back to ARP Detect.
4. Yes, you guessed it, ARP detect is useless and rarely detects a dropped connection for 3G/4G dongles

Pluses to 3.7.8.2:
a) WLAN 2.4Mhz does work compared to the FW version installed on the unit during manufacture

Both issues 3 and 4 were present in an earlier firmware version on my 2830n+ before I stupidly thought this was worth the upgrade. Disappointing to see such basic issues being missed and left without resolution as noted by others...