Adding an AP810 to a 2830n

• rob louth
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jul 2015 10:41 #7 by rob louth
Replied by rob louth on topic Re: Adding an AP810 to a 2830n
It is showing on the router now but the signal does not seem to improve even when im next to the AP?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2015 12:16 #8 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Adding an AP810 to a 2830n
Have you checked to see that the device you are using (e.g. phone, tablet?) is actually picking up its signal from the access point and not still from the router?

• rob louth
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jul 2015 13:40 #9 by rob louth
You are right I was connected to the router still. What I was hoping that by giving both the router and AP the same SSID, that the wireless devices would switch to the nearest one automatically. Can you confirm if this is possible?

More
19 Jul 2015 17:19 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Adding an AP810 to a 2830n
It's certainly possible, but it seems that it is very much dependent on the client device as to whether it decides to choose to remain with a weak signal or switch to a stronger one. Others here will undoubtedly know more about this than I do. I understand that, in theory, using the RADIUS server authentication with roaming option should allow "seamless" roaming but others here have reported that they obtained worse results with it than without.

• rob louth
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jul 2015 22:27 #11 by rob louth
I think I have managed to get it working by following the instructions on a page I found on the Draytek site. https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/ap-900-wds-bridge
Although they were instructions for an AP900, the web pages were the same and everything checked out as per the instruction. It does however state that once the unit is setup you have to remove the Cat5 cable to prevent loops. I would obviously prefer to utilize the cable that has been run for it.

More
21 Jul 2015 11:34 #12 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Adding an AP810 to a 2830n
If you've got a network cable connecting the AP, you don't need to use WDS bridging, which bridges over wireless. Just set the AP up in Access Point mode and set it with the same SSID & password as the Vigor 2830n and that should work well :)