DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860ac load balancing doesn't really work

• rtho782
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jul 2015 14:01 #1 by rtho782
Hi all.

I have a 2860ac connected to two FTTC connections, one (talktalk) directly via WAN1, the other (plusnet) via a HG612 modem on WAN2.

I previously used this setup with "connectify dispatch" software and two routers to load balance, and it was very effective for torrents, steam downloads, even speedtest.net etc.

The 2860ac seems to want to send all connections via a single WAN. I've tried both auto weight and according to line speed, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If I look at the online status->Physical connection screen, the RX bytes aren't really changing when I'm downloading stuff so I don't even really know which connection the thing is using from there.

Looking at the NAT Sessions section, almost every connection is going out WAN1.

Data flow monitor shows, right now, 311 connections via WAN1 and 3 via WAN2.

Sometimes it decides it prefers WAN2 and ignores WAN1.

How do I make the thing load balance properly?

Edit: This is Draytek's interpretation of the word "balance". 49mbit on one line, 3kbit on the other. Oh, and we're at nearly 90% CPU so I don't suppose the router is actually man enough to use both lines anyway. http://imgur.com/P8U9ZYE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2015 09:09 #2 by voodle
Which firmware are you using? I seem to get fairly good load balancing results between ADSL & 4G but I've got the WAN speeds set from WAN general set up and it's set to load balance based on the speeds of each WAN.

• rtho782
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2015 09:56 #3 by rtho782
Replied by rtho782 on topic Re: 2860ac load balancing doesn't really work
The latest firmware, 3.7.8.3. I wanted to try other versions but Draytek don't provide them for download.

I tried both auto-weight, and setting a line speed and according to line speed. Same results.

The closest I got to a workaround was setting a rule to route 128.0.0.0/1 over WAN2, meaning that every IP below that went over WAN1 and above WAN2. This worked fine for torrent downloads, but nothing else.

I've sent the router back to the retailer for a refund now, as I consider it faulty and/or not as described (as load balancing is not "balancing" but perhaps load "failover" or "overflow".) Draytek support kind of sucks as the ticket replies are so slow and I'm not paying £1 a minute for support!

More
29 Jul 2015 19:25 #4 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2860ac load balancing doesn't really work
what options have you set in the advanced mode?

More
26 Aug 2015 09:59 #5 by jonbigtelly
Replied by jonbigtelly on topic Re: 2860ac load balancing doesn't really work
Does not help I am afraid but have a similar issue with a 2925 Router.

I had a 2920 which was load balancing my 2 BT Infinity lines perfectly until I updated the firmware to the latest version.
At this point the router only used 1 of my lines even though it was set to Load Balance, tried Auto Weight, Line Speed no difference.

Decided to take the plunge and buy the 2925 as it has faster firewall throughput and am now struggling with the same issues.
Am running firmware 3.8.0.1 and using SAB NZB.

At night it seems to Max out both lines getting 18mb per second but whenever somebody else is using a PC in the house it only uses
one line so 9mb per second. If I run a speed test on the same PC that is running SAB it maxes out the second line so I know that nothing
is wrong with my internet connections.

Any ideas please as to how to make sure I can use all my bandwidth, should I just roll back the firmware on the old router and settle for
12mb per second as that's all the firewall can handle ?

More
26 Aug 2015 10:43 #6 by jonbigtelly
Replied by jonbigtelly on topic Re: 2860ac load balancing doesn't really work
I rang the 80p per minute helpline and they have advised me to turn off Hardware Acceleration.

Will let u know if that sorts my problem