Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor 130

• castodius
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2015 13:02 #1 by castodius
Draytek Vigor 130 was created by castodius
Hello all,
I have recently purchased a Draytek Vigor 130 modem as after reading several forums I decided to go with seperate boxes. I have VDSL broadband which comes from my vdsl plate on the wall using an RJ11 cable to connect to my current Technicolor TG799VN V2 modem/router combi.
I connected the vigor 130 in it's place and as instructed did nothing else to it.. here is what is shows:

I assume following the guide that this connected to my line? However after connecting the modem directly to my pc via and rj45 i could not access the internet? I also tried with the new router I purchased D-Link P5Touch and went through the setup as PPPOE filling in my username and password for the broaadband aand still nothing. I am unsure what is wrong hence my being here asking for help :)
I browsed various info on my current modem/router and on there it says DSL type is Annex B ITU-T G.993.2 (VDSL2) and realised the vigor 130 is Annex A. Could this may an issue? What is the difference between A and B?
Apologies as I am very much new to this and am currently struggling :/
Thank you in advance and if any other info is required I will do my best to add it.

Oh the vdsl settings that my ISP provide on the internet are:
*ATM settings
*Encapsulation
*Authentication
*Primary DNS
*Secondary DNS
*Protocol
*Modulation Type

Thank you
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2015 14:29 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 130
When you say you connected the Vigor in place of the Technicolor do you mean you did not use the Technicolor to set up your ISP details through the Vigor?

as per the instructions:-

"As a bridge, the Vigor 130 only provides the physical conversion from
xDSL (ADSL or VDSL) to Ethernet and all firewalling, routing or other
advanced routing functions are managed by your secondary device (a
separate router, firewall etc.). The secondary device may also be a single
PC, a PC-based software router or an Apple Airport™ type device.
The Vigor 130 comes preconfigured for most UK ISPs. Therefore, in most
cases you do not need to perform any setup of the Vigor 130 at all. You only
need to physically connect it (plug it in) and then configure your connected
router/firewall.
Your ISP username and password go into your router, not the
Vigor 130, which just acts as the DSL-to-Ethernet bridge."

It sounds as though you did not do that initially which might explain why you see nothing on the PC (assuming your PC is set to receive an IP address via dhcp from the 130) but it also sounds as though you have done it with the TP-link (I assume) P5 - and that should have worked if all settings are correct (i.e. make sure that you have not added the VLAN tag for vdsl in the router - that's in the 130)

• castodius
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2015 20:41 #3 by castodius
Replied by castodius on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 130
Hello and thank you for responding to my post :)

What I meant by "connecting in place of my technicolor modem/router" was I disconnected the technicolour from my vdsl plate on the wall and connected the vigor modem to the vdsl wall plate and let it sync, I then connected my tp-link router to the vigor modem via the wan/internet port with a rj45 cable and used the quick setup on the router.
I selected PPPoE for my connection type and filled in my username and password provided by my ISP. Both the username and password are definitely correct I have retyped those several times to be sure but I can't establish an Internet connection as it just says failed.
I have made no changes to the vigor modem as instructed and only gone through the setup process on the router.
I'm still unsure about the Annex thing? On my technicolor modem/router settings it says Annex B ITU-T G.993.2 (VDSL) is this anything to worry about or perhaps what could be causing issues connecting?
Again I apologise I am very new to all this :D
Regards
David

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
17 Dec 2015 06:20 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 130
You need to set up the router in "bridge mode" as you are not using the internal modem.

• castodius
  • Topic Author
More
17 Dec 2015 07:12 #5 by castodius
Replied by castodius on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 130
Hello,
My router is the tp-link touch p5 (sorry I didn't make it clear) it is by default in router mode and the vigor comes already in bridge mode I believe.
Thanks
Dave

More
17 Dec 2015 09:49 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 130
I know very little (call that zero!) about the protocols but as I understand it all variants of Annex A for Profile 17a are spectrally compatible with the ADE17 variant of Plan 998 from Annex B used by BT Openreach to deliver its own Profile 17a service. The fact that the Vigor is showing that it is connected (Showtime) would suggest to me that it is working OK.

I still have a feeling that the problem lies with your ISP details. I have looked at the online manual for the Touch P5 and I can't see anywhere in the setup where one would enter the PPPoE settings! - it seems to assume that the modem is already configured for whatever service you intend to use. To me this is bizzare - if I've missed the appropriate pages I apologise . (It seems as though this router does not have an internal modem Adrian and can only be set as router, access point or repeater).

I'd try again connecting the Vigor directly to a PC and setting up a new PPPoE connection with your ISP details.