• smithk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2016 17:47 #1 by smithk
2860 WAN throughout on Virgin was created by smithk
Hi

Virgin have recently upgraded me from ~152 Mbps to ~220Mbps however using the 2860 my connection seems to be maxing out at around 160Mbps.

I've tested using the SH2 as a router and can confirm i'm getting full speed there, but putting it in modem mode then using the 2860 it's still falling short.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening as looking through the forum it seems people have got this running at 300Mbps as the specs suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 20:35 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860 WAN throughout on Virgin
Turn off hardware accelleration (counterintuitive I know, but worth trying) and DoS defence.
Also, depends on how you measure the speed - single sessions, multiple, large datagrams, small etc..

Forum Administrator

• smithk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jan 2016 23:13 #3 by smithk
Replied by smithk on topic Re: 2860 WAN throughout on Virgin
Hi

Thanks for the response. Hardware acceleration and DoS both off after reinstalling the firmware with the rst version. Essentially I ran it with a single WAN port, and a single LAN port and disabled everything else including the call and data filters, VPN, DoS etc. in the hope that if that worked I could slowly re-enable features to see where the problem lay. Doing that I've had the speeds up to 190Mpbs but it's not consistent and fluctuates down to 160. Using the SH2 as a router speedtest, steam, usenet is all pretty consistent at 220.

More
03 Jan 2016 01:25 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860 WAN throughout on Virgin
What is the speed testing method? How many streams/size etc.

Forum Administrator

• smithk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jan 2016 02:18 #5 by smithk
Replied by smithk on topic Re: 2860 WAN throughout on Virgin
I run the tests as the only connected user, and for ease I use speedtest.net. I know this isn't perfect but between that and the speed difference downloading a few GB from steam or usenet there is a definite drop using the draytek.

More
04 Jan 2016 10:32 #6 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: 2860 WAN throughout on Virgin
Try changing the MTU value to 1500 on the 2860's WAN2 interface, the DrayTek defaults to 1442.

Is the connection being tested over a wired or wireless connection to the router?

Forum Administrator