DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Access to Draytek (Vigor 130) Web Interface Over WAN Port

More
03 Feb 2016 18:10 #13 by piste basher
As I said, if I remember correctly the blurb claimed that the line stats from the 130 could be displayed. Simply showing the Up and Down speeds tells one little that could not be gleaned from a speed test site - the 2860 itself, if used in modem mode, gives the second example I show above with much more info - it was easy to see that interleaving had been applied to my line for example after several router re-boots - the main reason I bought the 130 :lol: - at least I have stayed in Fast mode since using that....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2016 18:19 #14 by admin

Piste Basher wrote: Simply showing the Up and Down speeds

It shows the s/n and atten too, which are what are most often required. Interleaving, most people don't care about and those that do, don't need to check it often. I wouldn't want
a more cluttered WUI on the online status page. Beside, I don't think the V2860 "blurb" or "marketing" ever mentioned it.

Forum Administrator

More
04 Feb 2016 09:06 #15 by piste basher
OK it's clearly your opinion that those stats as shown are sufficient, although I have to say that you appear to be a tad defensive on this :wink: Maybe the original poster who asked this question has a view on how helpful those stats are?

This is not really a big deal as far as I am concerned, I was just trying to be helpful to the OP. But how you can say that "most people don't care about interleaving" is puzzling, given the large numbers of forum posts on the web that one reads on this issue and related speed reductions.

More
04 Feb 2016 15:27 #16 by admin

Piste Basher wrote: how you can say that "most people don't care about interleaving"

Like you say, it's my opinion.... The forum isn't actually representative of most users.

Defensive? I love my V2860 and won't hear a bad word against it, and I'm completely biased :-) Seriously though, it was the claim about "false marketing" which seemed OTT - that's a serious accusation.

Forum Administrator

More
05 Feb 2016 09:08 #17 by piste basher
I too am very pleased with my 2860 - albeit I initially had firmware problems which were resolved by the helpful Draytek support people; and it was, shall we say, mildly annoying to buy the first version in order to get dual band capability only for an AC model to become available shortly afterwards - I still haven't persuaded myself to cough up for that.

But this isn't about the capabilities of the 2860, it's about what I termed "misleading" and you have chosen to term "false" - a very different meaning and a word I didn't use. As I said, and if my memory is faulty I stand corrected, a user of the 2860 in modem mode can see the page I post above under "DSL Status", and this clearly includes a large section headed "Line Statistics". As I remember it the description of the 2860 used with a 130 as the modem stated that it could display the "Line Statistics" from the 130 - so I did not think it unreasonable to assume that this meant a page like the above, since the description was not qualified by the use of "limited line statistics" or similar. It turns out that I was wrong, and felt that I had been "misled" by the copy - which it appears you think is clearly my fault for making an unwarranted assumption, and not the responsibility of the advertising copywriters who had produced the description.

In any event, it would be interesting to hear what the OP (if he can be bothered to read this far) or indeed any other users of the 130/2860 think of this. Enough from me!

More
05 Feb 2016 14:04 #18 by admin

Piste Basher wrote: if my memory is faulty I stand corrected, a user of the 2860 in modem mode can see the page I post above under "DSL Status", and this clearly includes a large section headed "Line Statistics". As I remember it the description of the 2860 used with a 130 as the modem stated that it could display the "Line Statistics" from the 130

You could use wayback machine to go through old versions of the page I guess... but like I said, how often does a typical user want to check his interleaving status.

Forum Administrator