DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts (Resolved)

• cloquat
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2016 02:29 #1 by cloquat
Firmware 3.8.2.2 standard
Brand new Vigor 2860

Couple things I noticed and I am stumped as to why:

1. Changing the dhcp (server) from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.10.10, nat usage to 192.168.10.1, and dns to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, doing all that pretty much half bakes my internet connections. Basically it allows some sites to be accessible and others not so. Manually changing all the settings back to to 192.168.1.1 etc. and removing lan dns doesn't fix it. I basically have to do a factory reset to fix it.

2. The admin gui will randomly timeout (not the idle timer issue). I mean while I am clicking on one of the menu choices or a save a setting, the page will sit there trying to do my request but the browser will eventually give me a timeout page. The whole time I am pinging the router (192.168.1.1) and when it begins to sit there trying to process my requesting and timing out, the ping will say something like unable to ping/resolve 192.168.1.1. This will going on for about 5~10 pings and once the router has timed out it will respond again.

CPU is never more than 7% usally 1~2% Memory is always at 70%
Only way I can somewhat get it working is to leave everything at factory default.

Thoughts anyone? I am ready to return this POS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2016 20:22 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
I don't get any of that. Try changing subnet ONLY and seeing if the problem persists
as a process of elmination. If not, change back to default and then change DNS etc.

Please post more politely on the forum.

Forum Administrator

• cloquat
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2016 00:29 #3 by cloquat
Replied by cloquat on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
Apologies if my post sounded a bit abrupt or rude, was just pretty frustrated with the router for the last couple days.

First problem:

The default setup pic:

http://l34i.imgup.net/vdefault-wd5cc.PNG

Internet browsing fully works in that config.

Now if I change:

IP Address 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.10.1
Start Ip Address 192.168.1.10 -> 192.168.10.10
Gateway Ip address 192.168.1.1 ->192.168.10.1

DNS Primary to 8.8.8.8
DNS Secondary to 8.8.4.4

Router wants to reboot and so I do. Once it is back up and running, some websites will resolve but others won't. Strange and frustrating. If I revert the changes and reboot, the problem remains. I can drop to a command line and do an nslookup website.com and it will resolve it fine but the firefox/IE/Chrome will fail to render some websites. Only way to fix that bug (my bug assumption) is to do a factory reset.

I followed what admin had mentioned, change the subnet and ip (and gateway), rebooted, then added the dns settings (rebooted), it now seems to resolve all sites normally. Thanks! Never figured you would have to do it in that order.

Second Problem (serious issue):

http://a54i.imgup.net/v-timeoutf60a.JPG

This is what randomly (but frequently) happens, to all sites (even local lan connections are affected). The timeout lasts 5~10 seconds and then everything is back to normal.

Thank you for your assistance and feedback. Really does help to talk about it. :shock:

More
04 Apr 2016 12:57 #4 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts

cloquat wrote: Apologies if my post sounded a bit abrupt or rude, was just pretty frustrated with the router for the last couple days.
Second Problem (serious issue):
http://a54i.imgup.net/v-timeoutf60a.JPG

This is what randomly (but frequently) happens, to all sites (even local lan connections are affected). The timeout lasts 5~10 seconds and then everything is back to normal.

My Vigor 2860ac also occasionally time-outs when managing it but I do not get LAN time-outs. Are you connected directly to the Vigor or via an intermediary switch/home-plug etc.?

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2016 15:22 #5 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
Check for an IP conflict. Is something else on your LAN (Eg printer, tv, nas) using the same IP Address as your PC?

• cloquat
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2016 02:48 #6 by cloquat
Replied by cloquat on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
*update*

Finally was able to rma my unit and the new replacement seems to be working better on the LAN side.

LAN no longer times out/freezes.

VDSL2 is marginally better, the connection will freeze within a few minutes but will recover a few seconds later. Still very annoying. Leads me to believe it might be a buggy VDSL2 modem firmware(?)

@aweaton

Yes, the new unit only freezes occasionally in the admin gui, generally freezes when the VDSL2 connection freezes. LAN is unaffected (improvement :) :roll: ). VDSL2 connection direct to wan1 and computer and devices connected various gig ports.

@Macavity
No ip conflicts. I tend to assign static IPs.

Other thoughts:
Wonder if it is buggy vdsl2 modem firmware or would some vlan tagging be required for it (hopefully isp is smart enough to answer that question). Don't suppose anyone knows of a site that would list that type of info?

Appreciate the help.