DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts (Resolved)

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
30 May 2016 19:36 #7 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
If the WAN interface is set to auto try changing it to VDSL only.
It may be something is causing the 2860 to detect ADSL/VDSL if set to auto, in which case this causes a reboot, which will also give a brief pause and log off the console.

I think I've had the same on another 2860 on a customer site and have fixed to VDSL since the line was moved from ADSL to VDSL. Not had a chance to see what the uptime has been since yet.

Also what firmware version are you running, 3.8.2.3 is the latest, and are you running the std or one of the vector version. Note that Draytek UK have just changed the recommended version to Vector3, although this may have changed again as the website is now recommending 3.8.2.3BT.

Is you line actually using vectoring (syslog will show this when the line is initiated each time).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cloquat
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2016 02:10 #8 by cloquat
Replied by cloquat on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
@e.ringrose

Yep, that is one of the first things I did as part of troubleshooting, setting it to vdsl. I also flashed the firmware to 3.8.2.3 day after I received my new replacement unit.

I had the draytek support from taiwan remote into my unit, though unfortunately, they haven't said anything, I only know this because they requested it but never told me when, I saw they had accessed the unit when I reviewed my syslog file. They also had me use all the vector variants of 3.8.2.3, capture screenshots etc.

It's been 2 weeks and even the crickets are quiet now... :(

Anyhoo.. I did more testing/troubleshooting today. I think it maybe that the 2860 is incompatible with my desktop onboard GB ethernet (Broadcom BCM57781). The vdsl connection consistently times out/freezes within a couple minutes of downloading a big file. I have tried the latest driver and several older drivers, even in Windows safe mode (so no other software firewall/security suite would interfere), still freezes within a couple minutes of download a big file.

Now I also did the same download test using my laptop's ethernet connection (it has an intel GB ethernet controller), all my downloads and connections were flawless, everything worked as expected. I then then tried another machine (Intel NUC device), which also has an intel ethernet controller, it worked flawlessly as well.

Curious to know if other people have experienced anything similar... :?: :?:

I have updated my support ticket.. hopefully they will be able to make sense of it.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jun 2016 22:31 #9 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
Do you have uPNP enabled anywhere ?

QOS & hardware acceleration off.

On the desktop does it make any difference disabling every network protocol apart from IP4 ?

Do you have another switch that you can temporarily place between the desktop & the Draytek ?

• cloquat
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2016 01:56 #10 by cloquat
Replied by cloquat on topic Re: Vigor2860 - Lan random timeouts
@e.ringrose

>On the desktop does it make any difference disabling every network protocol apart from IP4 ?

I think that may have resolved my problem... Seems Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet - NDIS 6.0 + ESet Smart Security + Vigor 2860ac have issues. Eset also installs it's own NDIS LightWeight Filter protocol(?) and the combo causes issues with Vigor2860.

I also found forum information that Eset Staff had to troubleshoot Broadcom NDIS issues with other customers.

Since Broadcom hasn't updated their driver in years... my next step was to disable Eset's NDIS filter. Voila! No more freezing!!! :D

Unfortunately, disabling that cripples my security suite. I went to Eset's website and they had a very minor update, which I installed and everything seems to be working now.

Technically, I still think there is a compatibility issue between vigor2860 and broadcom, (more so with broadcom in my opinion, especially since for whatever reason sometimes it will downgrade 100mb performance even though it registers as gigabit). Reason I say so because when my old ISP dsl modem and netgear router, everything was working fine (with the older Eset Smart Security software).

Lesson learned, stick with Intel nics.

Still I wish to say thank you to everyone and to e.ringrose for setting me on the right path. 8)