Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Daratek 2860n and 4g Mifi via Wifi

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jul 2016 16:51 #7 by sheltons
Replied by sheltons on topic Re: Daratek 2860n and 4g Mifi via Wifi

Piste Basher wrote: See here

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wan-wireless?highlight=WyJ3aXJlbGVzcyIsIid3aXJlbGVzcyIsIid3aXJlbGVzcycsIiwiY29ubmVjdGlvbiIsImNvbm5lY3Rpb24nLCIsImNvbm5lY3Rpb24nIiwiY29ubmVjdGlvbidzIiwid2lyZWxlc3MgY29ubmVjdGlvbiJd

Thanks but Your link asks for a login which is different from the Forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jul 2016 16:54 #8 by sheltons

aweaton wrote: I assume inbound email is delivered by SMTP on port 25. If so you'll need a real world IP address.
When using O2 on a MiFi (or a dongle) you will only receive a 10.x.x.x IP address from O2. I experienced this when using a 4G dongle on O2 as a backup to BT. So when you update your IP address using DDNS it will receive a 10.x.x.x address which is no good. As you may know 10.x.x.x addresses are not inbound accessible as they are reserved IP addresses (like 192.168.x.x are).

So your only options are to use a mobile provider who gives you a real world IP address or access your email via another means until your phone line is repaired.

Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT for details on carrier grade NAT.

On the Dynamic DNS setting in the Draytek you have an option to select 'Determine Real WAN IP' as either WAN IP or Internet IP, by setting it as Ineternet IP it was updating it with the External IP which matched that of www.whatismyip.com.

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jul 2016 17:27 #9 by sheltons

Sheltons wrote:

Piste Basher wrote: See here

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wan-wireless?highlight=WyJ3aXJlbGVzcyIsIid3aXJlbGVzcyIsIid3aXJlbGVzcycsIiwiY29ubmVjdGlvbiIsImNvbm5lY3Rpb24nLCIsImNvbm5lY3Rpb24nIiwiY29ubmVjdGlvbidzIiwid2lyZWxlc3MgY29ubmVjdGlvbiJd

Thanks but Your link asks for a login which is different from the Forum.

Didn't realise I had created an account on this link some years ago, found it in my little black book. Tutorial is spot on how to do it and the Firmware version required to have the feature.

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jul 2016 17:36 #10 by sheltons
After spending some more time on this I don't think it will be possible, heres my thinking.

The Draytek connects as a universal repeater to the Wifi on the Mifi so the port forwarding on the Draytek will not work as the Mifi is the presence on the internet. So, the port forwarding would have to be done on the MiFi to the internal address of the Exchange server. The TP-Link Mifi does not have port forwarding capability so I don't think this is going to be possible due.

Happy to be corrected but I just don't see it can work. This feature on the Draytek is purely to get internet access out not allow services in.

I will forward this Posts link on to Draytek Support to see what their thoughts are but I think they will agree with my findings.

Thanks
John.

More
30 Jul 2016 09:31 #11 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Daratek 2860n and 4g Mifi via Wifi
Sorry for a bit of confusion - the link I posted was in answer to mbames's question, although I'm not sure if that was actually what he/she was asking :?

I'm probably not understanding your problem, but I am using a Netgear Aircard as the mifi device (the Aircard has a port forwarding feature but I'm not using it). If I unplug the vdsl input from the 2860 the router immediately fails over to the Aircard and I can still send and receive emails via any PC on the LAN.

One thing I did do was force the router to use Google's DNS servers rather than my ISP's DNS on the vdsl line, this avoids any problems with DNS during the failover. The Aircard connects to a Three data service and the vdsl is Zen.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jul 2016 12:28 #12 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Daratek 2860n and 4g Mifi via Wifi

Piste Basher wrote: Sorry for a bit of confusion - the link I posted was in answer to mbames's question, although I'm not sure if that was actually what he/she was asking :?

Nope, you answered the question I was asking (fwiw: male) :-)