Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860ac - WiFi locks until reset if signal becomes weak

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Aug 2016 10:22 #7 by proxima
Sure - thanks for your replies. I'll raise a ticket - if I get anywhere I'll reply here for future reference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Oct 2016 11:45 #8 by proxima
With the help of Draytek support, this is now fixed, although the exact cause isn't yet known.

I tried performing an update of the firmware while keeping configuration settings, and the problem continued. However, when I did a full update with factory reset (i.e. using the .rst file version of the firmware), and then did minimal configuration changes, the problem is fixed - my WiFi is now stable. The only change I made to the WiFi settings after the factory reset was to set a password - other than it, the settings are all as 'out of the box' running 3.8.2.3 firmware.

So, that's fixed it - but as I said the exact cause will probably remain unknown.

• oakserver
  • User
  • User
More
21 Nov 2016 01:09 #9 by oakserver
Interesting... Exactly the same thing with me. I could have written your article.

I will try a factory reset tomorrow.

Did your problem ever return?

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Nov 2016 08:41 #10 by proxima

oakserver wrote: Interesting... Exactly the same thing with me. I could have written your article.

I will try a factory reset tomorrow.

Did your problem ever return?

Hi oakserver - sorry for the delay in replying - I'm happy to try and help though.

No, my problem never returned, so the good news is that it can be done. I'm not sure what *specifically* the problem was caused by, but the solution was this:

- Install the newest firmware version for the router. At the time, that was 3.8.2.3_BT for my router - it looks like 3.8.4 is out now, but I can confirm that 3.8.2.3 works. However, the important point is that within the zip file there are several versions of the upgrade - I HAD TO USE THE .RST one, which does an upgrade and full factory reset at the same time. That worked. I had previously tried to do the .all one, which upgrades and keeps all config settings - that DID NOT WORK.

So: Use the .rst one. I did not then re-apply a saved backup config, but instead went through all config again manually one step at a time.

At first after doing the .rst update, I tried to stick to very minimal config until I could see if it was working. So I got the basic WAN/VDSL setup done, and the LAN, DHCP, etc, and then enabled a very basic WiFi setup. That worked and was stable. Since then, I've gradually added back in a lot of other config (VPNs, port redirections, VLANs, various other stuff) but it's kept working.

So:

1 - Do an update to new firmware using the .rst file, NOT the .all file.
2 - Gradually reconfigure the router from scratch testing as you go.
3 - Hopefully it'll be fine!

So we never found out which bit of config it was that was causing the problem, but it is working now. (Draytek have my 'before' and 'after' config states, so maybe they'll be able to find out - they seemed keen to look into the problem, and the support from them was good).

Good luck. Shout if you want any more details of my config.

Tom

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Oct 2017 14:52 #11 by proxima
Replied by proxima on topic Still having this problem
It turns out, I'm still having this problem - I've worked around it for nearly a year by using a different (TP-LINK) WiFi hotspot. But the DrayTek is still giving exactly the same problem - namely, that the WiFi seems to 'hang' if it moves to marginal range, and doesn't then reconnect even when back at close range.

The WiFi itself shows 4 bars from the mobile devices (now including a Sony Xperia Z5, as well as the others mentioned before). The router still shows the connection as active. But at an IP level, nothing works.

Could this be a DHCP problem I wonder?

I'm on firmware version 3.8.4.6_BT, and have done a factory reset (then restored from backup config) since the update.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.