DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek-specific problems?: Amazon Echo/Dot and Harmony Hub

• psykix
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2017 12:01 #7 by psykix
That's rather interesting.. have you logged a ticket about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aa111
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2017 12:05 #8 by aa111

psykix wrote: That's rather interesting.. have you logged a ticket about it?

Yes, I submitted a support ticket this morning (reference: DQ524877).

• psykix
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2017 12:07 #9 by psykix
Let's to see if they come up with anything.. Watching this thread with interest!

More
20 Jan 2017 15:36 #10 by admin3
I find it interesting that the problem occurs randomly, I suspect it's a session timeout issue - where the Harmony Hub is making an HTTP or UDP session and this is dropped by the router after some time because it appears to be idle.

In the telnet interface, try using the "portmaptime" command, which controls the timeouts for different types of sessions in seconds.
"portmaptime -l" lists the current settings
"portmaptime ?" displays the syntax
"portmaptime -u 86400" would set the UDP session timeout up to 24 hours (in seconds, its default is 300)

The timeout values for TCP WWW Timeout and TCP SYN Timeout might also be worth testing (their defaults are 60 seconds)

Forum Administrator

• aa111
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jan 2017 11:52 #11 by aa111

admin3 wrote: I find it interesting that the problem occurs randomly, I suspect it's a session timeout issue - where the Harmony Hub is making an HTTP or UDP session and this is dropped by the router after some time because it appears to be idle.

In the telnet interface, try using the "portmaptime" command, which controls the timeouts for different types of sessions in seconds.
"portmaptime -l" lists the current settings
"portmaptime ?" displays the syntax
"portmaptime -u 86400" would set the UDP session timeout up to 24 hours (in seconds, its default is 300)

The timeout values for TCP WWW Timeout and TCP SYN Timeout might also be worth testing (their defaults are 60 seconds)

Many thanks admin3, that was very helpful. After playing with different values I've now narrowed it down to TCP WWW Timeout. Default value on my Draytek was 60 seconds. After a bit of testing I've now set it to 3600 and external connections to the Harmony Hub have been rock solid since. Obviously need a bit more time to make sure, but this looks very promising!

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2017 13:04 #12 by c128
Ditto response to admin3 - thanks very much for that!

To echo aa111's reply, I'm seeing 100% success*, at least at the moment, with TCP WWW Timeout upped to the value he's using.

Will also see whether this solves the problem given a bit of time...

* Now, if I can just get my Echo to reliably not mistake "Light" for "Lights" and "Test" for "Tennis" (?) this could actually be a winner - that's certainly not a Draytek issue though :D .

PS - in terms of timeouts, are there any possible negative impacts from upping them from the defaults?