DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Received my brand new 2860n

More
23 Jan 2017 18:38 #7 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Re: Received my brand new 2860n
NextXL and Yay are registered at the same address.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmansell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2017 05:07 #8 by lesd
Replied by lesd on topic Re: Received my brand new 2860n
I got two 2860's from Broadbandbuyer. They came in unsealed boxes but each unit inside the box was shrink wrapped.

Les

• jojobinksy
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2017 06:35 #9 by jojobinksy
Replied by jojobinksy on topic Re: Received my brand new 2860n
Thanks for the replies. It was NetXL and fulfilled by amazon... I contacted broadbandbuyer and they said what they ship out are security sealed by Draytek... I also contacted Draytek PreSales and they said it should be security sealed too. In light of this, coupled with the fact that the box rattled like heck, I returned it.

Now based on what a few people here have said, I doubt I'll be ordering from Draytek. Id be much more confident ordering a factory sealed product. A good friend at work ordered the AC version of the 2860 recently too, and he received an unsealed box, but the router inside was in a plastic bag with regular sellotape sealing it up. We had an interesting conversation which invoked memories of the pictures published in the guardian (paper or website) showing Cisco boxes being tampered with whilst in transit on their way to the customer.

Now I have absolutely nothing to hide, and indeed even if it was factory sealed it could still be tampered with! Haha, but I would have been a lot less concerned if there were security seals. Yes I could have upgraded the firmware (from a known safe router), yes I could have ran TCP/UDP port scans to see if it was leaking anything, but none of this would have been thought about had it been factory sealed... I can't take credit for these ideas, I received this advice from Michael Horowitz at routersecurity.org - a very helpful and informative guy.

More
24 Jan 2017 10:56 #10 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Received my brand new 2860n

JoJoBinksy wrote: Thanks for the replies. It was NetXL and fulfilled by amazon... I contacted broadbandbuyer and they said what they ship out are security sealed by Draytek... I also contacted Draytek PreSales and they said it should be security sealed too. In light of this, coupled with the fact that the box rattled like heck, I returned it.

Now based on what a few people here have said, I doubt I'll be ordering from Draytek. Id be much more confident ordering a factory sealed product. A good friend at work ordered the AC version of the 2860 recently too, and he received an unsealed box, but the router inside was in a plastic bag with regular sellotape sealing it up. We had an interesting conversation which invoked memories of the pictures published in the guardian (paper or website) showing Cisco boxes being tampered with whilst in transit on their way to the customer.

Now I have absolutely nothing to hide, and indeed even if it was factory sealed it could still be tampered with! Haha, but I would have been a lot less concerned if there were security seals. Yes I could have upgraded the firmware (from a known safe router), yes I could have ran TCP/UDP port scans to see if it was leaking anything, but none of this would have been thought about had it been factory sealed... I can't take credit for these ideas, I received this advice from Michael Horowitz at routersecurity.org - a very helpful and informative guy.

I hope you didn't get the 2860 i returned last year! PM me the serial number and I'll confirm.
Obviously I don't know your reasons for wanting a security sealed router but it is fair to say the DrayTek products are significantly more secure than the ISP supplied pile of rubbish. While we're talking of security you may want to consider your computer processor.... https://www.bestvpn.com/intel-management-engine/

More
24 Jan 2017 14:22 #11 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Re: Received my brand new 2860n
Just flash it with the .rst (reset) version of the latest firmware before you start and everything will get set to factory anyway.......

More
24 Jan 2017 17:45 #12 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Received my brand new 2860n

JoJoBinksy wrote: Thanks for the replies. It was NetXL and fulfilled by amazon...

NetXL/Yay are legit reseller. Not sure about the rattling (why didn'y you open to box to see what was rattling) but it shouldn't be just in a mailing bag... it should be padded or in a box...maybe someone in a warehouse got lazy :-)

Boxes are not sealed, as mentioned and the router is not in just a plastic bag - it's an anti-static bag. They no longer shrinkwrap the routers as that can introduce static charge on the machine which can affect components apparently.

This is not a reason to give up on DrayTek!

Forum Administrator