Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Accessing ISP modem GUI via Draytek Vigor 28xx

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Nov 2017 02:40 #19 by hornbyp
I had yet another go at this (i.e. accessing the 192.168.1.1 Management Interface on a Zyxel VMG1312-B10D, via a Draytek Vigor 2830n). It nearly works - but I still have a problem to solve.

Here is a diagram of the network at the property in question. The vast majority of the clients use Wifi (i.e. Phones, Tablets, Laptops, I.O.T stuff). There is a single wired client (a YouView box). The main LAN is 192.168.200.0/24 and DHCP is used. A site-to-site VPN connects back to 'base'.

What I have done for this experiment, is add a second connection between the Zyxel and the Draytek. The idea is, that this comprises a 192.168.1.0/24 network (created as port-based VLAN1, with inter-LAN Routing enabled).

Initially, this burst into life - and requests for 192.168.1.1 successfully targeted the Zyxel - but it was short-lived. Eventually, the connection to the internet became unusable, until the 2nd connection was removed, at which point, it sprang back to life. ThinkBroadBand's 'Quality Monitor' showed the effect quite graphically.

I thought I had fixed it - by turning off IGMP/Multicast support on the WAN and adding a vast array of firewall rules (none of which ever seemed to trigger!...)

The remaining problem, is that will not power-up and establish a connection to the Internet in this state.

You have to wait for the connection (to the ISP) to be established and then plug the second connection in :!:
Presumably something about the PPPoE initialisation is upsetting things - maybe some kind of broadcast, that is looping around my two inter-connects and ignoring my firewall rules? From what I've gleaned from Wikipedia , this broadcast may be Ethernet-based, not IP...

Any ideas to work around this :?:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.