Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Accessing ISP modem GUI via Draytek Vigor 28xx

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jul 2017 22:14 #7 by hornbyp
Here are some screenshots of the settings I used on my Vigor 2860n, in order to access Web interface of a Virgin Media HUB 3 Cable Modem. The HUB 3's IP address is fixed at 192.168.100.1 - apparently because of some brain-dead DOCSIS 'standard' :roll:

Add a WAN 2 IP Alias of 192.168.100.250. (Do not join NAT IP POOL)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fbpto6v1l8fl1s/WANIPALIAS.png

Then, add a Load-Balance/Route Policy entry for the single target address (192.168.100.1). Note that the Gateway is set to "Specific Gateway: 192.168.100.1", which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but seems to work :!:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnqz2itm34p61ee/RoutePolicy.png

(The inline images don't display (for me); hence the links to them. Maybe they have to be authorised by a forum admin?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slime
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
28 Jul 2017 09:44 #8 by slime
Thanks very much.

Confirmed I have it like this but no joy. Thoughts - is it because I have it as PPoE and not "static" on the WAN2 connection in the 2860 to the 130? Or is it because I do not have a routed subnet setup in the 2860?

Traceroutes to the 130 are hitting my 2860 but being sent to ISP, not back to the 130 by the looks of it.

If I goto the WAN2 alias, I get the web interface of the 2860 so that part is working.

Hmmmm

Thanks.

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jul 2017 16:15 #9 by hornbyp

slime wrote: Thoughts - is it because I have it as PPoE and not "static" on the WAN2 connection in the 2860 to the 130? Or is it because I do not have a routed subnet setup in the 2860?
Traceroutes to the 130 are hitting my 2860 but being sent to ISP, not back to the 130 by the looks of it.

Although use of the "IP Routed subnet" seems a natural part of the solution - and I tried it in my early experiments - I don't think it actually helps/is required. It seems to me, that the 2860 is doing the same thing as the 2830, when PPoE is involved.

Since you have two Draytek products that cannot communicate with one another, I would say you're perfectly entitled to ask Draytek support how to fix this. I would love to hear the official response...

More
29 Jul 2017 09:11 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Accessing ISP modem GUI via Draytek Vigor 28xx
I've had a play with this using an old 2920 and a 130, and can confirm that the 130 is not accessible if the WAN setting on the 2920 is PPPoE, but it is if the WAN setting is fixed IP/DHCP client mode.

I don't see why support should be interested as they have always made it clear that the 130 is not accessible via a Draytek router. Adrianh54 managed it with a Netgear router I seem to recall.

• slime
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
02 Aug 2017 17:54 #11 by slime
Thanks for the testing and info. Is it easy to change from ppoe to static? Are all changes at 2860 or does stuff need to be changed at the 130 end too?

Thanks.

More
03 Aug 2017 08:37 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Accessing ISP modem GUI via Draytek Vigor 28xx
I don't think you'll get a connection to your ISP if you don't use pppoe