DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

[Solved] Connecting mobile phone's hotspot to 2820n WAN2?

• dottedquad
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2017 14:08 #1 by dottedquad
Hi!

Does anyone know how to accomplish what the post by Voodle hints at - see https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18464#p76544.
He states:

Personally I used a mini AP such as the TP link wr702n to connect to my iPhone 4's personal hotspot and use that connected to the WAN2 port for some double NATted but functional backup internet

I would love to hear how to do that if (as seems to be the case) it's possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 16:14 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Connecting mobile phone's hotspot to 2820n WAN2?
I didn't think you could do that with a 2820 (3G usb modem only)? You can with a 2860 though.

• dottedquad
  • Topic Author
More
31 May 2017 10:33 #3 by dottedquad
But, according to another post by Voodle
https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16727&p=78334&hilit=MIFI+E586+in+USB+port#p70398
what I want to do is possible with the 2820.
To quote from Voodle's post:

What I do these days since I'm using my iPhone's 'Personal Hotspot' feature and I have 'unlimited' 3G on that, I've got an access point set to Station Infrastructure mode that connects to the iphone's wireless network and converts that to ethernet that I can then plug into the 2820's WAN2 port :) Thankfully it's just a backup connection.

I'd just like a wee bit more detail on how to set this up!

More
01 Jun 2017 09:36 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Connecting mobile phone's hotspot to 2820n WAN2?
Voodle is using a separate access point to connect to the phone's wifi and then using an Ethernet connection from the access point to plug into WAN 2 on the 2820.

• dottedquad
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2017 09:56 #5 by dottedquad

Piste Basher wrote: Voodle is using a separate access point to connect to the phone's wifi and then using an Ethernet connection from the access point to plug into WAN 2 on the 2820.

I realised that! But what I can't figure out is
(a) how the 2820's WAN2 port should be configured
(b) how the Access Point he uses should be configured

Has no-one else succeeded in doing this?

More
01 Jun 2017 15:40 #6 by admin3

dottedquad wrote:
(a) how the 2820's WAN2 port should be configured

The 2820's WAN interface should be set to Static or Dynamic IP - Obtain an IP address automatically

(b) how the Access Point he uses should be configured

The access point should be set to either Universal Repeater mode (less ideal) or Station Infrastructure - this way, the AP connects to the phone's wireless network as a client and bridges that to the AP's LAN interface, which goes the 2820's WAN interface :)

Forum Administrator