DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

[Solved] Connecting mobile phone's hotspot to 2820n WAN2?

• dottedquad
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2017 17:14 #7 by dottedquad

admin3 wrote:

dottedquad wrote:
(a) how the 2820's WAN2 port should be configured

The 2820's WAN interface should be set to Static or Dynamic IP - Obtain an IP address automatically

(b) how the Access Point he uses should be configured

The access point should be set to either Universal Repeater mode (less ideal) or Station Infrastructure - this way, the AP connects to the phone's wireless network as a client and bridges that to the AP's LAN interface, which goes the 2820's WAN interface :)

Thanks! I've ordered a TP-Link WR802N (a later version of the 702N that Voodle mentions). It has 5 modes:
  • Wireless Router Mode
    Hotspot Router Mode
    Access Point mode
    Range Extender Mode
    Client Mode

Not sure which of these is closest to the Station Infrastructure - maybe Client Mode, in which (according to the 802N's manual) "The TL-WR802N is used as a wireless network card to connect [to] the Wireless network signal or wireless router." So the topology I'm going to try is: 2820n WAN2 port -- WR802N LAN/WAN port -- WiFi Hotspot on mobile phone.

On the 2820, the 'WAN > Internet Access > WAN2' config has 3 tabs:

• PPPoE (currently enabled and used to access my ISP)
    Static or Dynamic IP (currently disabled)
    PPTP/L2TP (also currently disabled)

Should I disable the PPoE tab and enable the Static or Dynamic IP tab?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 09:13 #8 by admin3
With that AP, Client Mode seems to be the right one, that should be like Station Infrastructure mode (but with a more comprehensible name).

On the 2820, yes, you would disable PPPoE on WAN2 and enable Static or Dynamic IP instead.

Forum Administrator

• dottedquad
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2017 19:42 #9 by dottedquad

admin3 wrote: With that AP, Client Mode seems to be the right one, that should be like Station Infrastructure mode (but with a more comprehensible name).

On the 2820, yes, you would disable PPPoE on WAN2 and enable Static or Dynamic IP instead.

Many thanks for your help!

Got a TP-Link WR802n today and configured it and my 2820n as you suggested.

Pleased to report that the lash-up worked!

Internet access is very slow of course due to poor 3G coverage where I live. But as backup, its ok for email, some browsing and noodling around on amazon, and seems to be quite stable; plus its shared between all the bits and bobs on my home LAN that need internet access.