VDSL2 losing sync speed

• oakserver
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jul 2017 10:15 #7 by oakserver
Replied by oakserver on topic Re: VDSL2 losing sync speed
Hi,

Seems we are both in a very similar situation then in terms of playing the DLM waiting game.

I've got an attainable rate of 80,334. My down is currently synced at 74,999 with SNR 7 so definitely room for improvement.

The BT firmware attainable rate used to slide down over a period of a week or two to less than the actual sync speed. How does that work then - something not quite right there.

However, 3.8.4.5_VT4 (579F17) maintains a constantly high attainable rate and SRN for weeks on end and I'm sticking with that in the hope that DLM will remove the banding at some point. My upstream ES are about 70 per day, 0 on the downstream so nothing too much to worry about. The Kitz DLM Calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_calculator.php is great for determining if your error or resync count is seen as green amber or red as far as BT's DLM sees it. Red indicates DLM will take action, Amber - DLM will not make changes, Green - DLM will make positive changes. Worth having a look at that with your stats.

I was looking at the TP-Link VR600 V2 - just realeased. Has VPN which I need and is broadcom based. Problem with that is it seems the interface is locked down so you can't get any decent stats out. My Asus DSL-AC68U caused more line errors than the Draytek and caused my sync speed to drop considerably (down to round 54,000) and also interleaving - so at least the Draytek has got be back up to 74,999 and back on Fastpath which was a happy result.

I'll stick with the Draytek until a suitable Broadcom chipset modem comes along. They seem to to be very stable up and down stream with no errors. My £30 TP Link modem from Argos holds a perfect line - but its got no VPN features, has little in the way of parental controls or QOS. In a busy household I need these functions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oakserver
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jul 2017 17:28 #8 by oakserver
GSB1 - I wonder how you are getting on with the different firmware. Mine is completely stable, occasional upstream CRC error and 81000 attainable for weeks now. No sign of capping removal as still synced at a maximum above 74999. :(

I was reading the Fritz!box 7581 (not 7580) has a Broadcom chipset - and looks quite interesting with plenty of features including DECT telephony / voip. Bit expensive though at the moment.

More
30 Jul 2017 18:32 #9 by gsb1
Replied by gsb1 on topic Re: VDSL2 losing sync speed
Much the same; stable, max attainable good but no increase in actual sync speed yet. I still have 9db snr on downstream.

More
31 Jul 2017 09:03 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VDSL2 losing sync speed
I've followed this thread with interest as my I've noticed that my attainable rate was dropping with the BT firmware. I'm now trying the VT4 and the attainable rate does appear to go higher and stay there. No difference in actual rate as yet (that has dropped from around 39000 to the current 32397 in two or three stages over the past 2 years. It never goes up again, only down in my experience.

I'm puzzled about the upstream ES errors - which on mine is about 16000. If these are "error seconds" how can they be 16000 when the router has just been re-booted and has not been running for 16000 seconds? Is it some sort of cumulative figure which doesn't get re-set at the router end?

• oakserver
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jul 2017 19:51 #11 by oakserver
Hi Piste,

The downstream error count are the errors detected by your router, which is reset when you reboot. The upstream error counts are cumulative recorded by the BT DSLAM i believe.

After a reboot, your router obtains the error count from the DSLAM equipment. What I am not sure about is if you were to eliminate all errors, how long this count is retained at BT's end before deciding to drop them. It must eventually clear - perhaps when the DSLAM is next rebooted or has a power outage ?!.

What SNR do you have on your downstream Piste and are you interleaved or fast path?

Mike

More
01 Aug 2017 08:22 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VDSL2 losing sync speed
This morning downstream SNR is 8 and upstream is 6. I'm on Fast path. Attainable upstream is showing as 38240 with actual as 32397 (been that for over 6 months now, dropped from around 35000 as I recall). Attainable and actual upstream are 6774.