leased line not using its maximum speed

• completerookie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2017 11:21 #1 by completerookie
leased line not using its maximum speed was created by completerookie
I have a 2860ln with a simple copper adsl connection from BT - maximum up is 0.8mb and down is 12mb thats been working for ages without issue, - nothing I can do here about the speed, we are in the middle of nowhere.

I then arranged for a new leased line 200mb up and 200mb down.
I reconfigured the 2860 and plugged the fibre connection into WAN2, got the ip as 194.*.*.106 with 255.255.255.248 and the gateway as 194.*.*.105
this connected successfully, and I then changed the routing policy to force only my laptop out of wan2, the rest of the company out of wan1
when I do speed tests, I can see a big problem.
wan2 should be running at 200mb up and down, but its showing as only 12mb. thats conincidently the same speed as WAN1 (old copper).
I've hunted high and low in the settings, but I can't see any settings (eg bandwidth management) that are enabled that would throttle the speed down so much.

The reason I ask, I cannot remember changing any settings in the past that could affect the speed, but clearly somewhere somethings been set.
by the way, I did have a vigor 120 attached as wan2 going to a second slow copper solution, but that was removed 3 months ago ready to support the new leased line so I don't think there's anything there.

anyone got ideas where I could go and look/change to get the speed to go back up to the anticipated 200mb.
kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2017 11:52 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: leased line not using its maximum speed
Guessing the router is in use during the day so how about doing this experiment out of hours:

how about backing up the configuration
applying the latest .rst firmware to reset the unit
reconfig for just using WAN2 to start with on your 200/200 leased line.

How is the lease line terminated? Could you connect your laptop directly to what you have been plugging into WAN2, thus bypassing the 2860 completely to check that the line is performing as expected?

• completerookie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2017 12:27 #3 by completerookie
Replied by completerookie on topic Re: leased line not using its maximum speed
it doesn't get any better.
Its a 24/7 warehouse and I came in at 4am this morning to get the connections working/reboots etc. so I can do an out of hours test tonight. i'll come back on this one.
now it seems having involved more people, that some pc's / mac's get a full 200mbs , some can't get out using the browser (at all) but pings work.
If I connected fixed wire, I get no access, turn on my wifi, I get 14-20mb but like I say, other people sat on the same switch gets the full 200mb

is it a sharing issue on my wifi eg 10 people share 200mb, so each gets 14mb ??

I'm getting too old to lose any more hair !

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2017 12:38 #4 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: leased line not using its maximum speed

completerookie wrote: it doesn't get any better.
now it seems having involved more people, that some pc's / mac's get a full 200mbs , some can't get out using the browser (at all) but pings work.
If I connected fixed wire, I get no access, turn on my wifi, I get 14-20mb but like I say, other people sat on the same switch gets the full 200mb

I think a reset might help clear things up, just configure WAN2 to start with and if that works as expected leave it alone for a few days, and then configure WAN1 as your fail over. Small steps.

Take a config backup as you go, so if it all goes pear shaped you can quickly restore.

More
07 Sep 2017 14:28 #5 by admin
Yes, a reset might be a good idea. Also turning off hardware acceleration and DoS protection as a test.
Also, check WAN2 is running at Gb speed.

Forum Administrator

• completerookie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Sep 2017 00:25 #6 by completerookie
Replied by completerookie on topic Re: leased line not using its maximum speed
ok.
totally clean install with a spare 2860, upgraded to latest firmware (3.8.4.6 v4) leased line now working, connecting ok. I've not yet tied down anything, but I have turned on full Dos and firewall etc.
run an ethernet cable, I get 180-190mb, played on other ethernet cabled PC's, all seems to be around that speed. (great)
I then set up 2.4ghz with no max download, and 2.4ghz with 30mb up and down and also another one at 50mb up and down.
then setup the identical ranges on the 5ghz range
when I connect the iphone 7, the speed is very disappointing max I got was 45mb down, 62 up and the other ones maxed out before they go to the max settings.
I've got nothing loaded other than my speedtest.net app
When I tried on the original modem (when I had very erratic probs), I saw as much as 170mb traffic albeit going through ubiquiti AC Pro's
Haven't given up yet, I'm going to hook a couple of ubiquiti AC Pro's tomorrow (just seen the clock read that later today) and see if its the inbuilt wifi that's giving me probs and if ubiquiti gives me mush better throughput.