DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862 - only 4 LAN ports?

• the larch
  • User
  • User
More
05 Feb 2018 19:01 #7 by the larch
Replied by the larch on topic Re: 2862 - only 4 LAN ports?

aweaton wrote: 4 or 5 LAN ports. Port 5 can be WAN2 or LAN by the looks of it.

The product information page ( https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2862 ) certainly suggests that. But there's a footnote that says "* requires f/w 3.8.8 or later, otherwise 5th Ethernet port is for WAN2 only".

Which is a bit misleading. My unit was delivered with f/w 3.8.6, and the newest available seems to be 3.8.7, so there is no f/w "3.8.8 or later" as far as I can tell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 18:01 #8 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2862 - only 4 LAN ports?

The Larch wrote:
there's a footnote that says "* requires f/w 3.8.8 or later, otherwise 5th Ethernet port is for WAN2 only".

Which is a bit misleading.

Why is that misleading? Seems clear - you will need a later firmware. If it was in shipped/current firmware, there would be no need for the comment !

Anyway, 3.8.8 is here:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2862/

Forum Administrator

• the larch
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2018 00:41 #9 by the larch
Replied by the larch on topic Re: 2862 - only 4 LAN ports?

admin wrote: Why is that misleading? Seems clear - you will need a later firmware. If it was in shipped/current firmware, there would be no need for the comment !

While I see what you are getting at, the wording implies to me that the firmware update was available at the time of writing, even if it wasn't the firmware that the modem originally shipped with, and wouldn't necessarily be the firmware that devices currently in the channel would be running on receipt. I don't think it misled only me. In November, more than 4 months before the firmware was released, aweaton wrote (emphasis on the "can be" is mine):

aweaton wrote: Port 5 can be WAN2 or LAN by the looks of it.

To be clearer, it could have said "will be available on f/w 3.8.8", and given an indication of when that was likely to be released.

Fortunately, although the fifth LAN port is something I plan to use, it wasn't an immediately pressing issue for me.

admin wrote: Anyway, 3.8.8 is here:

Thanks for pointing that out (although I had spotted a post about it already), I expect to be updating shortly.