• Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2017 10:32 #1 by aimdev
installed 3.8.5_STD prior to release of 3.8.5_BT. Speed 14 mb dl
installed 3.8.5_BT, speed 4-6mb dl
switched to isp modem, speed 13mb
reverted to 3.8.5_STD, 12.7 mb.
Same speed test server
Attenuation,SNR, line speed, speed attainable pretty consistent (29db/5-6db/15mb/15mb) on ADSL2
File size between 3.8.5_STD and 3.8.5_BT. differs, BT version is larger.

Confused?, I am!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• psketch
  • User
  • User
More
22 Oct 2017 10:57 #2 by psketch
Replied by psketch on topic Re: 2860 firmware issue 3.8.5_STD vs 3.8.5_BT
I haven't seen slow speeds, but I have had my vdsl line drop into "Training" state 3 times in the last two days since I upgraded to .5 Now, this could be a line glitch of course - since the modem code is supposed to be the same between 4. and .5 - but my line had been up for 50 or more days prior to the upgrade. Will keep an eye on it, but has anyone else seen more regular line drops?

• aimdev
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2017 10:59 #3 by aimdev

psketch wrote: I haven't seen slow speeds, but I have had my line drop into "Training" state 3 times in the last two days since I upgraded to .5 Now, this could be a line glitch of course - since the modem code is supposed to be the same between 4. and .5 - but my line had been up for 50 or more days prior to the upgrade. Will keep an eye on it, but has anyone else seen more regular line drops?

Hi,
was this on fibre or adsl2?

• rob.nicholson
  • User
  • User
More
07 Dec 2017 20:37 #4 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: 2860 firmware issue 3.8.5_STD vs 3.8.5_BT
When I replaced my client's BT Smarthub (!!) with the 2860, I was getting a slightly slower speed, something like 13Mbps on Speedtest versus 14.5Mbps in the BT Smarthub. However, as we were learning stability over speed*, my client stuck with the new Vigor. It's been in now for about a month and over this time, the speed through the Vigor has steadily increased to actually more than the BT hub was getting - bouncing around 17Mbps today. Considering my client is nearly 2km from the cabinet, this is around the speed that they have to accept.

*Boy is the 2860 way more stable than the BT Smarthub - the later crashing and requiring a reboot every few days. Vigor has been up for over a month. We'd even had to resort to a timer on the plug to power cycle the BT "Smart" hub every night.

• aimdev
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2017 21:46 #5 by aimdev
Hi

Thanks for the info.
I continuously monitor my vigor using snmp, to a series of graphs, and typically the attainable speed is 15mbs, 29db attenuation, 6db S/N.
It is fairly stable, with the occasional disconnect, (but as OR are all over the place currently it may be them), which was useful as I found out
that the line route meets my distance calculations/measuring against a map.
Also they said that there is 'white copper' lines here (aka as aluminium!!) which has a higher resistance.

As the fttc box is not within the magic 500m wont be upgrading any time soon.

More
08 Dec 2017 13:55 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 firmware issue 3.8.5_STD vs 3.8.5_BT
Interesting that you say OR are "all over the place" - I have been experiencing decreases in speed, increases in SNR margin and complete drop outs over the past couple of weeks. Do you know what they are up to?