DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 firmware issue 3.8.5_STD vs 3.8.5_BT

• aimdev
  • Topic Author
More
08 Dec 2017 15:06 #7 by aimdev
Hi

yes, they have been provisioning extra cabinets for fttc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aimdev
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2018 16:37 #8 by aimdev

Piste Basher wrote: Interesting that you say OR are "all over the place" - I have been experiencing decreases in speed, increases in SNR margin and complete drop outs over the past couple of weeks. Do you know what they are up to?

Hi
just an update, got the isp to uncap the dlm (this was not an easy task as the front line support, well were not supportive)
Now the isp's modem shows attainable at 18.5mbs, attenuation 26db, snr 6db, and a speed test can achieve 16mbs.,
however using the vigor, it reports about 17.5 Mbs, attenuation 29db, snr 6db, speed test approx 15.5mbs
An older router gets me figures comparable with the isp's, so I wonder why there is a difference?

Also dropped back to 3.8.5_bt to do the tests.
Have there ever been modem firmware updates for the 2860?

More
03 Mar 2018 17:55 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 firmware issue 3.8.5_STD vs 3.8.5_BT
I can't answer your last question but good to see that you have had some success with your ISP. I complained in December about my third drop in download speed in what seemed like as many weeks - this coincided with an increase in my SNR margin from the usual 6-8dB to around 10-12dB, and appears to have happened after OR stuck the G.Fast pod on the side of my cabinet. As with you, I found my ISP unsympathetic - they seemed to prefer to blame something at my end, although I hadn't changed anything. I'm leaving it for three months with a "stable" connection - or as stable as it can be with the occasional drops that seem to be do with OR and two power outages!

I wonder why ISP's seem so reluctant to take these complaints up with OR? Does it cost them to do so?

• aimdev
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2018 18:52 #10 by aimdev

Piste Basher wrote: I can't answer your last question but good to see that you have had some success with your ISP. I complained in December about my third drop in download speed in what seemed like as many weeks - this coincided with an increase in my SNR margin from the usual 6-8dB to around 10-12dB, and appears to have happened after OR stuck the G.Fast pod on the side of my cabinet. As with you, I found my ISP unsympathetic - they seemed to prefer to blame something at my end, although I hadn't changed anything. I'm leaving it for three months with a "stable" connection - or as stable as it can be with the occasional drops that seem to be do with OR and two power outages!

I wonder why ISP's seem so reluctant to take these complaints up with OR? Does it cost them to do so?

The DLM equipment increases the SNR to reduce the speed for a more stable connection, ie less error's.
The equipment may not be able to detect improvements with the line to automatically reduce the SNR.
The only way to get it 'uncapped' is to persist with the ISP as its their equipment, not BT's (unless you are with BT),
bypassing the frontline support if necessary.
Remember you are paying for the 'line rental', and that is more than the ISP is paying OR.
A tip, ensure all measurement are from the master socket, so you cannot be accused of the 'its your internal wiring' causing the problem.