2862Lac

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Nov 2017 19:37 #7 by ccarmock
Replied by ccarmock on topic Re: 2862Lac

That's completely wrong. It may be that what you consider 'marketing people' is different to what DrayTek mean...
but who you do you think should decide if a product gets launched? Engineers who have no ideal about accounting/economics ?

I would expect a product owner to make that decision and then Marketing would work out how they promote it, but yes agreed that it depends on definitions.

It's not available ANYWHERE yet so if it goes into production and they decide to launch it in the UK, it will be a commercial decision,

Again understood.- wasn't aware it wasn't even in production - the US Draytek site doesn't mention it isn't available yet.

the Vigor2860L series is mission critical so locked away securely in an office/cupboard etc, so for WiFi, users generally use a separate access point not a built-in one so that coverage is optimised.

If they are going to sell a Wifi LTE model why would they not base it on the more advanced ac and make it dual band. That covers everything the N model does plus more.

If you buy a US one, it'll be different LTE bands, wrong power supply, no local warranty, no UK support, wrong WiFi bands, no MCT/BT approval...and it doesn't exist :-)

Again if the international model was the ac it would cater for everything the N does if that's all people need plus the AC benefits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2017 03:24 #8 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2862Lac
As the new ac solution is 4x4/MuMimo etc, it adds a lot of cost, so if most users don't use wireless at all, why make the product loads more expensive which everyone would have to pay whether they need it or not. but for the odd user who just needs wireless for occasional router admin, 802.11n is adequate. If they sold all three variants (non-wireless, wireless and ac) then everyone would be served, but then you've got sales divided by 3 so economies of scale are lost as they sell far fewer 'L' models than the regular non-LTE.

I quite fancy one at home and will probably be relieved if my broadband goes down for a long period, but I could always use Wireless WAN. I'd worry about using up allowances quickly thoiugh.

Forum Administrator

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2017 00:09 #9 by ccarmock
Understood- or make the wireless part modular :-)

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jan 2018 11:03 #10 by ccarmock
It looks like the 2862Lac did make it to the UK then:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2862l

More
28 Jan 2018 22:59 #11 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2862Lac
Yes, it's now in production so I guess is arriving any day now.

Forum Administrator

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2018 23:10 #12 by ccarmock
Great to hear- looks like a good model