Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?

• flippinekfaria
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2018 16:58 #1 by flippinekfaria
2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why? was created by flippinekfaria
Hello from a newbie,

I've just installed a Vigor 2925ac in my home/office for the purpose of splitting home equipment from work equipment using the Port VLAN capability... all seemed well. I thought I was done, chuffed in fact, but I've noticed the 'office' is not getting a full 300Mbps+.

The router dashboard is clearly showing 'amber' on LAN port 5 which is dedicated to the office VLAN, that tells me a 10/100Mbps connection. This port is connected directly to a small LinkSYS (LGS105) gigbit switch but unsurprisingly the connectivity of all the onward servers/devices is capped at 90-100Mbps like the router suggests.

Can anyone assist and point out the error of my ways so that I can get this port connected at 1Gbps; I'm not a network engineer so it might be very straight forward?

Thanks,
FEF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2018 18:09 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?
Have you tried a different cable?

• flippinekfaria
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2018 19:01 #3 by flippinekfaria
Replied by flippinekfaria on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Changing the cable between the router and the office is going to be tricky, it's an externally run Cat5e about 40-50m long. However, I plugged a laptop directly into the back of the router, on the other VLAN ports, and again using a Cat5e cable got exactly the same result (Amber 10/100Mbps). This is odd as the device plugged into the neighbouring port is a NAS drive and comes up 'green', so really confused what the difference could be.

Happy to try something else, any thoughts?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jan 2018 00:28 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?

flippinekfaria wrote: Changing the cable between the router and the office is going to be tricky, it's an externally run Cat5e about 40-50m long. However, I plugged a laptop directly into the back of the router, on the other VLAN ports, and again using a Cat5e cable got exactly the same result (Amber 10/100Mbps). This is odd as the device plugged into the neighbouring port is a NAS drive and comes up 'green', so really confused what the difference could be.

I would guess this is going to be the external cable - but a process of elimination, using known good kit is the way to prove it -assuming you don't have the means to test the cable electrically.

For example:-

Connect the NAS drive to the suspect Draytek port. If 'green', then the Router port is OK.

Connect laptop to the port that the NAS normally uses. If not 'green', then issues with the laptop to resolve.

Take the NAS drive to the far end of the suspect cable - if amber, must be cable.

etc etc.

BTW - the external cable is supposed to terminate at a (wall) socket at each end - with patch leads from socket to Draytek at one end and socket to Linksys at other. You don't say if this is how it is arranged ... but I suspect not (correct me if wrong!). It would make for easier testing (by making up plugs that short the various pairs together for example). It also helps prevent damage occurring to wiring that can't easily be repaired.

Note: Gigabit ethernet requires all 4 pairs in the cable to be properly connected, whereas lower speeds only use 2. (The other pairs being used to provide the 'link' indication). It's worth checking that any plugs and sockets on the external cable are using the T-568B wiring standard.

More
28 Jan 2018 12:37 #5 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?
I would try putting a switch at both ends of the long cable so it isolates the long cable from the Draytek and see what happens. If it shows 100 Mb into the cable then the cable has the problem.
Then see where the 100 Mb is showing, at least you have then isolated it to one section of your network.

Neil..

More
28 Jan 2018 23:00 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?
there are (telnet?) commands to force 10/100 so maybe someone set that without you knowing.. is this
just one port or all ?

Forum Administrator