DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?

• flippinekfaria
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2018 13:11 #7 by flippinekfaria
Replied by flippinekfaria on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?
Hello,

Back on this now, looking at the configuration.

The good news is that the external cable is connected by patch/wall sockets, the far end goes via a short lead straight from the wall socket to the switch plus I tested the wall sockets with a simple RJ45 connectivity tester all the 8 connections reported good. So I'll swap the NAS drive and the external cables/ports to see if they automatically swap the port speed rating as well.

This next test I'll have to try a bit later and report back since pulling the work cable in the middle of the day causes 'unrest amongst the natives'........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flippinekfaria
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2018 14:01 #8 by flippinekfaria
... couldn't wait, urgent maintenance over lunch required a temporary network outage!

So then, the router doesn't appear to like the cable run or something along the run. The NAS is always a 1G connection, as is the LinkSYS switch when relocated closer to the Draytek box on the same port yet the longer cable always results in a 10/100 connection which is going to REALLY bug me. The previous Fritzbox, cheaper option, has demonstrated far superior connectivity buy managing a 1GB connection on the same run and TWICE the throughput on all the ports. The 2925ac can only manage c160Mbps on any LAN port connected directly to the router compared to 310Mbps by the Fritzbox which I measured across the long cable run and through two routers; the source fibre only provides a claimed 330Mbps!

Not sure what the next step is because ripping and replacing a 40-50m cable for the extra c60-70Mbps when a cheaper router gives a full 300 over the same run does sound like investment in the wrong place. Before junking the Draytek options and looking elsewhere, is it possible this box is defective or should I look for something with more oomph to accommodate the additional VLAN features I'm looking for?

Cheers,
FEF.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2018 16:38 #9 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?
Try "admin's" suggestion and have a look at the port config. with the Telnet interface.

I don't have a 2925, but the pertinent commands for the 2860 are :-
Code:
Valhalla> port status % port 1 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= OFF % port 2 : link UP , speed= 10 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 3 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 4 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 5 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= -- % port 6 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % WAN2 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON Valhalla> port 1 status % Port 1 Status: Auto Negotiation Valhalla>

Port status is the equivalent of the 'dashboard lights', and port n status, shows the settings for a particular port. On the 2860, you can't force 1000Mbps full duplex for a LAN port; the choices are 10,100 or Auto Negotation - the 2925 might be different.

Have you tried different patch leads? I've seen worn (or just incompatible?) ones in the past, that didn't make full contact unless you applied downwards pressure (admittedly, unlikely to be your issue - but something to try...).

• flippinekfaria
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2018 19:59 #10 by flippinekfaria
Hi Hornbyp,

Thanks for the comprehensive proposal, I shall certainly give it all a try, patch leads at both ends (especially because I made some of them) and the telnet commands. This shall take a little longer as I configure and learn how to even get onto the router via telnet but shall report back when all is done.....

... (edit)

Status looks fine:

DrayTek> port status
% port 1 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON
% port 2 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= --
% port 3 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= --
% port 4 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON
% port 5 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON
% WAN1 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON
% WAN2 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= --
DrayTek> port 5 status
% Port 5 Status: Auto Negotiation

This pretty much confirms that the physical connection is the problem with the port negotiating 10/100. I shall wiggle and change cables to see if I can manage a 1Gbit connection but have learned a lot in the meantime. Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers,
FEF.

• flippinekfaria
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2018 22:30 #11 by flippinekfaria
Issue solved... all ports now showing 1Gbit connection!!!

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, it really was a patch lead; actually both ends got swapped out but eventually I now see 'green' on all ports. Sadly the router can only manage c150-170 Mb/s but at least I can get that speed on both VLANs.

You live and learn, thanks again.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2018 22:37 #12 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2925ac Port 10/100Mbs... but why?

flippinekfaria wrote: shall certainly give it all a try, patch leads at both ends (especially because I made some of them)

I've had issues with cables I've made ... usually putting them back in the crimping tool and squeezing harder will do the trick!