DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

V130 any better than internal modem in the 2860 ?

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 May 2018 10:55 #1 by tivoli
Is the V130 a better modem than the one inside the Vigor 2860?
I'm getting a couple of disconnects a day which is causing the sync speed to drop each time.
My BT cabinet uses Huawei kit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2018 12:09 #2 by admin3
They are very similar VDSL modems - if you're seeing disconnection issues, it may be worth testing one of the alternative modem codes to see if that resolves your issue? The Vector4 modem code is available from the DrayTek UK site and could be used to test whether it helps with stability.

Forum Administrator

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 May 2018 13:33 #3 by tivoli

admin3 wrote: They are very similar VDSL modems - if you're seeing disconnection issues, it may be worth testing one of the alternative modem codes to see if that resolves your issue? The Vector4 modem code is available from the DrayTek UK site and could be used to test whether it helps with stability.

Ok thanks I will give that a try.
What does Vector 4 do then?

More
02 May 2018 09:09 #4 by admin3
It's a different modem code, it's difficult to define all the changes that are made, but the newer modem codes can improve compatibility with different VDSL cabinet firmware / hardware. If you're seeing connection drops with the BT firmware, which is similar to the Vector 3 modem code, Vector 4 has been seen to help in some situations.

Forum Administrator

• wilsodg
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2018 19:30 #5 by wilsodg
In my experience, the 130 is not that stable on some lines. See my other post. I have 2 lines. One line has never given any issues, but my BT business line periodically goes bad with the V130, and is fine with the BT Hub. And the more you leave it or play with it, the more BT drop the speed. I'm not saying the V130 is no good, but it does seem somewhat intolerant if there are any line issues.
Usually I have to wait till it gets bad with the BT Hub, then call them out to replace all the connections between them and the exchange, then it is OK for 6-9 months. Which is strange, because both lines are down the same multi-core cable all the way to the exchange, but it is always the BT Business line that plays up. So I would not think that a V130 will fix the issue you have with the 2860.
I am about to try the alternate firmware in the V130 - will post back whether it makes any difference.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
03 May 2018 10:51 #6 by adrianh54

admin3 wrote: It's a different modem code, it's difficult to define all the changes that are made, but the newer modem codes can improve compatibility with different VDSL cabinet firmware / hardware. If you're seeing connection drops with the BT firmware, which is similar to the Vector 3 modem code, Vector 4 has been seen to help in some situations.

It is a shame that the ReadMe file supplied with the Alternative Firmware relates only to the BT firmware ....... :?