2860 not installing latest firmware

• davealford
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 May 2018 13:43 #1 by davealford
2860 not installing latest firmware was created by davealford
I've been upgrading the firmware on all my routers. Most upgrade with no problem but, I'm not able to update any 2860's with 3.8.6 or .7 to the latest 3.8.8_BT code- I click the upgrade button and nothing happens - no error messsage, nothing!. Anyone seen any restrictions on doing this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• towernet
  • User
  • User
More
24 May 2018 23:20 #2 by towernet
Replied by towernet on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
Myself and a friend are stuck at 3.8.4.6. We are both on the same ISP (there's only two in Guernsey) on VDSL2.

If we upgrade to any later version, the upgrade appears to go ok, line sync shows green and connected, but PPP never logs in, no error, no access denied nothing, just sits there....

Did a full clean .rst with latest firmware and manually setup again but no go.

Have a raised a ticket, took 3 or 4 days before they came back and the suggestion was to carry out a full reset and upgrade with TFT, I can't believe that's gonna make the slightest bit of different to an .rst firmware upgrade. :evil:

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2018 12:31 #3 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
I've had the same issue on three 2860's so far.

The issue is reproducible (I temporarily bricked two other 2860's multiple times during testing).

Three issues:
1)The firmware update process failing on an in place update (from 3.8.4.*) to 3.8.8. It was just sitting on the progress bar.

2)Updated successfully completed but then failed once restarted and unable to access, WLAN can be present but not able to connect.

3)On a clean factory reset of 3.8.8 if a 3.8.4.* configuration is restored similarly unable to access once configuration restored. It looks as if the configuration can be restored up to 3.8.4.6 but nothing later.

No sign of being breached prior to update.

I've logged a case.

Just as a matter of interest had there 2860's been migrated from earlier versions. Two has been 2820's previously, but one was a clean install.

Still doing further testing of the various versions.

• towernet
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2018 12:34 #4 by towernet
Replied by towernet on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
Yes I think I upgraded through two or three versions before reaching the stop point.

Wondered if it was compatibility issues with the VDSL2 network. I have another friend who has the same router but on a poor quality line so has to stay down at slower ADSL2 service (same provider) and he has been able to upgrade without issue.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2018 15:02 #5 by e.ringrose
OK, doing some further testing from the third site backup configuration.

Running 3.8.4.4.

Updating to 3.8.8 via web consistently remains on progress bar until times out ( around an hour) after which case the web interface can be used as normal.

Updating same configuration using Firmware Update utility direct to 3.8.8 succeeds and all looks to be running normally.

Obviously not running these tests onsite so not 100% test.

I also updated my own 2860 last Friday evening without issue (VDSL). Admittedly the sites that have all failed are ADSL at the moment but I don't think this is the cause.

Next step is to retest the upgrade using the upgrade utility rather than the web interface.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
29 May 2018 09:07 #6 by e.ringrose
OK, initial update via the firmware update utility on one of the previously upgraded sites cause the 2860 to become non functioning. No WLAN/IP.
Will repeat on the other site to observe results.

Feeding back results to Draytek.