DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 not installing latest firmware

More
31 May 2018 17:15 #7 by akwe-xavante
Replied by akwe-xavante on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
I recently had my first (Hopefully my last) failed firmware upgrade on a 2820. I've always upgraded via the web interface and done so remotely down a VPN tunnel.

Not had problems doing this in the past.

So i had to travel a few hundred miles to rescue the router onsite and after several failed attempts i eventually suceded by......

Using the the firmware upgrade utility a good ten mins after a reboot disconnected from the phone line and using the rst file without enabling the ftpd server using a SSH connection using putty. If i enabled it first upgrade failed! I also unplugged a USB dongle used to store data from the Data Flow Monitor. Unplugging the dongle presumably disabled the data flow monitor therefore freeing up memory.

There is another firmware upgrade available now and i'm pondering over what to do as it's a critical upgrade and i won't be visiting the property for another 6 months or so. 3.3.9 to 3.7.2

i would normally just get on with it, it would of been done already.

Just a thought but is this issue a memory problem, lack of free memory within the device during upgrade?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manicguitarist
  • User
  • User
More
31 May 2018 18:11 #8 by manicguitarist
Replied by manicguitarist on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
Re the upgrade button not doing anything - I was seeing the same thing whilst using IE11 - switched to Chrome and it worked ok.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
31 May 2018 20:33 #9 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
I've experienced the upgrade button not doing anything on a few occasions whilst updating the firmware.

Logging out and closing browser (ensure caching of pages is disabled i.e. always update page) normally fixes it.

I have also had corrupt files, retrying with a fresh download has also fixed the issue.

Still waiting for something back from Draytek as have still got loads of 2860's to update.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2018 16:29 #10 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware
Well it looks as if this has been resolved in the latest 3.8.9 firmware.

Only available from the main Draytek site at the moment but I've done a test upgrade from 3.8.4.4 and 3.8.4.6 to 3.8.9 on two configurations that were previously failing (and corrupting) on 3.8.8.

As soon as this appears on the UK site properly I'll test again and then finish my update rollout.

• davealford
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jun 2018 10:36 #11 by davealford
Replied by davealford on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware

manicguitarist wrote: Re the upgrade button not doing anything - I was seeing the same thing whilst using IE11 - switched to Chrome and it worked ok.

Ah, good idea manicguitarist ....
Tried MS Edge and Draytek upgraded - also upgraded modem firmware but reconnected without issue. So, issue could be browser related but weird how IE works on some and not otheres even with identicle firmwarw versions.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jun 2018 11:06 #12 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: 2860 not installing latest firmware

manicguitarist wrote: Re the upgrade button not doing anything - I was seeing the same thing whilst using IE11 - switched to Chrome and it worked ok.

I second this, had a horrible experience of doing an update over a WAN connection using IE11 and getting the dreaded failure message, fortunately Chrome saved the day