Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vectoring

• oakserver
  • User
  • User
More
31 May 2018 23:56 #7 by oakserver
Replied by oakserver on topic Re: Vectoring

maxwellhadley wrote: I have no idea what most of that means...

...but it does say, on the 'online status' page:

Code:
Line 1 Information (VDSL2 Firmware Version: 576D17_A/B/C with Vectoring support ) Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream 17A SHOWTIME 1,074 (Kbps) 5,435 (Kbps) 6 (dB) 4 (dB) Vectoring Active

Which is what I had been going on

Yes, the good news is you have vectoring enabled.
The bad news is if that still only gives you only 5mbps download speed then its time to move home! ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maxwellhadley
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jun 2018 09:14 #8 by maxwellhadley
Replied by maxwellhadley on topic Re: Vectoring

oakserver wrote:

maxwellhadley wrote: I have no idea what most of that means...

...but it does say, on the 'online status' page:

Code:
Line 1 Information (VDSL2 Firmware Version: 576D17_A/B/C with Vectoring support ) Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream 17A SHOWTIME 1,074 (Kbps) 5,435 (Kbps) 6 (dB) 4 (dB) Vectoring Active

Which is what I had been going on

Yes, the good news is you have vectoring enabled.
The bad news is if that still only gives you only 5mbps download speed then its time to move home! ;)

I'm perfectly happy living where I do, thanks very much. TBH I find the speed adequate, enough to allow me to work from home - but then I am the only regular Internet user here. Big downloads - OS updates, large customer datasets - take a while but hours rather than days. YouTube works :)

I am one of the lucky ones on this cabinet. Some of my close neighbours only get 1 to 2 Mbit/s. I suspect this is due to an incident when a tractor with the front loader up drove through my phone line shortly after I moved here (in dial-up Internet days) and the last few hundred metres of '60s vintage aluminium overhead cable was replaced with 'propper copper'.

A nearby village is served from the same cabinet over about 6 or 7 km of directly-buried (i.e. not in a duct) multipair. There are about 45 premises served, including one or two running off (bridge?) taps along the way. I know of one business which has to use 3 bonded lines to get a dizzying 1 Mbit/s. Presumably this is one reason for trialling vectoring here. BT OpenReach have quoted £295,000 for running fibre from the cabinet to serve this village!!!

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jun 2018 10:40 #9 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: Vectoring
@oakserver,

You could run the fibre much cheaper yourselves especially if you can get any of your local farmers, who are presumably also affected, to give permission to bury the cable along the edge of their fields. Indeed they probably have a tractor or excavator for clearing ditches which would make the job even easier. :D

Here is one DIY project that resulted in B4RN being born.

https://qz.com/873002/a-british-farmer-built-a-broadband-network-for-40-parishes-with-a-tractor-and-2000-miles-of-fiberoptic-cable/

John.

• maxwellhadley
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jun 2018 10:54 #10 by maxwellhadley
Replied by maxwellhadley on topic Re: Vectoring
Maybe they could, if it wasn't for DEFRA, the National Park Authority, Natural England, the Forestry Commision, old Uncle Tom Cobbley and all...