DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Upgrading 2860n from 3.7.8 to latest 3.8.9.1BT

• dpbarry
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2018 12:54 #1 by dpbarry
Hi folks.

I received an email a while back from Drayek about the important firmware upgrade. It now appears the company that provided technical support for our 2nd internet connection in the school has gone belly up and everything has been passed over to me to manage.

This firmware upgrade hasn't been done and it looks like our router was changed - rouge DNS value noticed - so, looking a bit of advice on the upgrade.

Is it safe enough to go straight from 3.7.8 to the latest 3.8.9.1BT version?

P.S. I live in N. Ireland (Part of UK)

Regards

Declan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jun 2018 23:48 #2 by hornbyp
FWIW, in the past, I've upgraded Vigor Routers by many versions and never had an issue. I don't believe I've ever seen any advice from Draytek against doing this...

...however, there could be an issue in your case, should you need to fall back to 3.7.8 - in that you would need to clear the settings, by applying the .RST version (of 3.7.8) - and then apply a backup of the Config that had been made using 3.7.8. It's documented in the release notes in the "known issues" section.

• damtechmatt
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2018 12:52 #3 by damtechmatt
Replied by damtechmatt on topic Re: Upgrading 2860n from 3.7.8 to latest 3.8.9.1BT
Theres no concrete advice one way or the other I don't think.

I tend to go every other version from current to newest. Just in case.

Make sure you take a config backup. If you have to roll it back you will need to wipe it.

• dpbarry
  • Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2018 13:48 #4 by dpbarry
Well, did the upgrade and whilst it said it was successful, it now won't let me log into the admin console. Everything else seems to be working. I just can't get into the admin console to check everything or make any changes

I've emailed support and waiting on them getting back to me. They sent me an updated firmware file and asked me to apply it using the web interface BUT, I can't get into it which is why I'm asking for help.

Regards

Declan

• dpbarry
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2018 14:40 #5 by dpbarry
Okay.

Managed to reset the router back to v3.7.8 and got back into the admin console.

So far I have managed to successfully upgrade to v3.8.8_STD via the web interface. If I go any further, whilst access to the internet works, it won't give me access to the admin page which is on 172.16.0.1 and I have to use the firmware recovery method to go back to v3.8.8.

What I did notice when attempting the update to the latest version is that it told me it was changing the modem codes. Not sure what that means but wondering if it is affecting anything.

Declan

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
07 Aug 2018 19:54 #6 by hopkins35
Modem codes won't affect local access to the console, they just affect/tweak your connection to the internet, Draytek release their firmware with several different versions of the modem codes, some are optimised for a BT line others for a line with vectoring enabled.

There are some strange behaviours with 3.8.9.1 (and seemingly later firmware versions) that Draytek don't really have a handle on. I've been given a 3.9.0 release candidate today that's still got problems