Draytek and long lines

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2018 09:52 #1 by mbames
Draytek and long lines was created by mbames
Background: My Dad is using a 2820 with the long-line modem code and is on a long DSL line in Somerset.

He'd normally use the 2820, but his ISP (origin) switched provides from reselling plusnet to vodafone, and in order to get him back online, they asked him to use their supplied asus dsl-n14u_b1 router. I popped back yesterday and this was syncing at just over 3mpbs, which is significantly better than the 2820 which syncs normally around 1.5-1.7.m Unfortunately I don't have the reset of the stats to hand.

I do have a spare 120modem - does anyone know if that is likely to perform better on the line than the modem in the 2820, or might I be better off trying to get the asus dsl-n14u_b1 to run in bridge mode?

Last night the SNR on the 2820 was hovering around 0 (amazingly!) to 1db. Around 23:00 it dropped the line, and when I checked at about 23:15 (just after the pub over the road closed for the night - total power down), the SNR had snuck back up to 4db.

The object here is to provide a stable connection at a reasonable speed, ideally with the features of the 2820 - specifically the site-to-site VPN as that aids support issues!

Thanks,
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2018 18:36 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Draytek and long lines
Current status it is reporting:

Code:
> adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- Running Mode : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 2543924 bps US Actual Rate : 760000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 2404000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1004061 bps DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 68 dB Cur SNR Margin : 2 dB DS actual PSD : 17. 0 dB US actual PSD : 12. 8 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 211801_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 38 dB Far SNR Margin : 5 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00005453 CO ITU Version[1] : 00005443 DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < TI >

More
11 Aug 2018 12:02 #3 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re: Draytek and long lines
Hello mbames :)

Can you try this maybe? https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

You will get a higher SNR margin but that will provide you better stability

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
11 Aug 2018 18:41 #4 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: Draytek and long lines

Spellbinder wrote: Hello mbames :)

Can you try this maybe? https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

You will get a higher SNR margin but that will provide you better stability

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

Here is a working link for the above. :D

John.

More
11 Aug 2018 19:23 #5 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re: Draytek and long lines
Ah yes sorry, I thought I had copied the normal link! :mrgreen:

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Aug 2018 08:36 #6 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Draytek and long lines
Thanks for the link - didn't know I could do that on the 2820.

Just telnet'd back to it, and it is now reporting an SNR of 7 without me making any changes, but the sync speed has dropped significantly. As I'm not actually at my parents, I might leave well alone for a bit - as I'm off out for a run and the last thing I need is my Dad phoning up saying the internet has stopped working altogether ;-)

Code:
> adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- Running Mode : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 1791964 bps US Actual Rate : 784000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 1616000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1023136 bps DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 68 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB DS actual PSD : 16. 7 dB US actual PSD : 12. 8 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 211801_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 38 dB Far SNR Margin : 5 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00005453 CO ITU Version[1] : 00005443 DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < TI > >