• arthurm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2018 20:51 #7 by arthurm
Replied by arthurm on topic Re: Vigor 130 as a router
Hi Basher,

Well the confusion on my part seems to be that the UK version of the Vigor 130 doesn't have the router functionality of the international version. That SKU has basic, but servicable, routing ability nicely documented in the PDF I got from the draytek.com site.

Adrian kindly saved me a lot of hastle by pointing out the UK SKU won't work in that manor.

The DM200 (EUS100 SKU) does have a router function which is basic but if connected to a hub or switch should suffice. The DM200 has DHCP and can bridge PPPoE to a single subnet so for basic home use this would fly. The firewall is very simple too but it supports NAT and blanks everything else so it sounds like a viable option.

Goolging this most people don't do it this way and those that do find it difficult to set up. I suspect (maybe unfairly) that they are still mistakenly trying to connect it to a WAN port rather than plain ports while dissabling DHCP on the Wi-Fi hub and ending in a conflict?

It's a real shame the UK SKU of the V130 doesn't do what the ROW SKU does as it's quite a neat little box.

Arthur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2018 21:59 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 130 as a router
Does the R.O.W. Vigor 130 give you any additional functionality, over and above that found in whatever cheapo device your ISP gives you as a freebie?

BTW, I had a poke around on http://amazon.de , and the (German) Vigor 130 I found on there seems to be the same as the UK version. The routing version must be aimed at somewhere further afield...

• arthurm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2018 22:56 #9 by arthurm
Replied by arthurm on topic Re: Vigor 130 as a router
Hi Horn,

it's not that I'm looking for it to have more features than a supplied router, all I want from a box there is to be more stable than a BT HH5 (not hard I know) and not to have wi-fi. This frees me up to have a good wireless AP in an ideal chosen spot without too much cost to implement the modem function, i.e. one small low power box rather than 2.

Looking at the PDF i got from Daytek I notice that it's verson 1.0 dated 2013. I wonder if this was the launch spec and they later found an issue, such as not enough poke in the CPU to support the router function and withdrew the functionality. As an engineer I have seen companies do this before but I won't name names :)

Arthur

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2018 23:48 #10 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 130 as a router

ArthurM wrote: ... all I want from a box there is to be more stable than a BT HH5 (not hard I know) and not to have wi-fi.

So, really, anything that's not a BT HH5. :)

(Maybe a Huawei HG633/635 or Zyxel VMG1312-B10D from eBay fits the bill? The former can be had for a tenner - the Zyxel a bit more. I've used these particular examples and found them fine on the 'stability' front.)