Sky Hub with Vigor 2862n and a VigorAP 810 bridge network se

• adrianbn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2018 21:16 #7 by adrianbn
Laugh it up bud :)

If there is anything that Draytek have taught me is that you cant beat old fashioned networking.
So tomorrow I am going to buy some Cat cable, wall plates and trunking and fish out my old cable crimpers and network my home the old fashioned trusted reliable way.

:lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianbn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Sep 2018 10:36 #8 by adrianbn
I have found a fix for my Sky hub network.

So I thought I would post it here.

If you are using a Sky Hub and are having problems with connecting the DrayTek Vigor 2862n router through the hub to the net, then try this.

I have used a Netgear five port hub to the sky hub, then connected the draytek to the netgear hub, and setup using the WAN2 and disabled the use of vlan tags for server or client.
In the internet access for WAN2 I used static IP and specified an IP, subnet mask, gateway IP and first DNS IP, disable TTL and stated WAN connection as always on.
Rebooted.
I then check My Smart TV and in the IPv6 setting on the Draytek WAN2 internet access copied the IPv6 link address and gateway address into the draytek and set it as Static IPv6 and WAN connection type as always on.

Then on reboot bingo, everything works sweet as a nut. IP4 and IPv6 run like a dream.

:D

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
14 Sep 2018 14:37 #9 by mbames
Are you double natting?

Line -> Sky Hub -> Vigor

This might cause a problem if you let vigor update dynamic DNS records for you.

You should be able to use wireshark to extract your logon details, and then ditch the SkyHun and configure wan1 with the required DHCP option61 fields extracted via WireShark.

• adrianbn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Sep 2018 16:29 #10 by adrianbn
Its working fine and I have the VigorAP810 setup and running fine too, I can now access the net from my garage/workshop too. :D

The SkyHub is setup with disabled Wifi and from what I have read online and discussed with Sky IT support is that if I am caught extracting details from the hub, using software such as wireshark then I will be violating my Terms and Conditions contract and can be disconnected from Sky.

This way everything is legal and working, even the Sky+ TV box is working fine through the Draytek on WPS.

As it stands I am now happy with the way it is setup and running, even my USB printer is working on the Vigor AP 810 :D

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
15 Sep 2018 15:16 #11 by mbames

AdrianBn wrote: .... is that if I am caught extracting details from the hub, using software such as wireshark then I will be violating my Terms and Conditions contract and can be disconnected from Sky.

Sky have changed their T&Cs so that you can use other equipment, and you can capture your details without the Sky router being "online"

I used Sky for many years on ADSL and VDSL having extracted my logon details for both types of service. I've even spoken to support, and it is expected that if you report a fault with the line you have the Sky router attached at that point, but otherwise they didn't seem to mind.

• adrianbn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2018 14:41 #12 by adrianbn
That's not what the guy said to me the other day, but hey its not a problem as all is still going well.
An I am now happy I have it running as I want.

The main reason I wanted to buy a draytek router was to setup the access control using MAC address.
As I had suspicion that a neighbour was piggybacking of the network through a hub, using a WiFi scanner.
I know this as I kept getting strange activity on the network and random slow speeds.
Now I have the access control setup all is good.