Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 keeps dropping Plusnet VDSL connection

• hansfords
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jul 2019 14:24 #19 by hansfords
Replied by hansfords on topic Re: 2860 keeps dropping Plusnet VDSL connection
I've been having the same problem for some time and assumed it was the line. I was about to get the line tested when I found this thread. Have updated to Vector 4 and will see whether it improves the stability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hansfords
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2019 09:03 #20 by hansfords
After two days on Vector 4, I think I can safely say it hasn't made much difference, though there might be a slight improvement. I've started using the Broadband Quality Monitor at www.thinkbroadband.com. Here are the graphs from the two days immediately before the switch:

And here are the graphs from the two days immediately after the switch.

As I said before, I had wondered whether it was the line as it is an overhead line that goes through some trees. But the weather has been so still recently, I find it hard to believe that is the cause of the problem, though it would interesting to see the graph on a windy day. Is it worth going through all the different firmware options? By the way, online status says vectoring is active.

Thanks

• alucidnation
  • User
  • User
More
10 Aug 2019 21:17 #21 by alucidnation
Replied by alucidnation on topic Re: 2860 keeps dropping Plusnet VDSL connection
I gave up with Plusnet and moved to a more expensive provider and things eventually settled down.

I have just updated to the latest mdm2 firmware, and if anything, my line errors seemed to have decreased a fair bit.

• hansfords
  • User
  • User
More
02 Sep 2019 17:13 #22 by hansfords
Turns out for us it was water ingress at a connection point on the phone line. Weird how weather seemed to have nothing to do with the dropouts. They were apparently random, with some days stable and others absolutely terrible. Throughout it all the connection speed was at best half of what we had before and have again now.

We have had intermittent problems with this line ever since we moved in over 18 years ago. Just wish I'd kept a log of what and where the problem was each time an engineer fixed it for us. If it's always the same problem at the same spot ...