New user trying to connect Vigor 130 through Zyxel Multy X

• davidfloyd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2019 09:47 #1 by davidfloyd
Hello,

I've recently purchased a Vigor 130 which I am given the impression that it works 'out of the box' and that I don't need to alter anything.

Previously I was using a BTHub3 (ADSL) which worked OK but needed better WiFi around the house so I purchased a Zyxel Multy X and this works OK, connected to the BTHub.

The problem with the V130 is that I have been able to connect with a direct connection to my PC, but when I plug the modem into the Zyxel router the router does not pick up the signal.

Any advice for a novice on what adjustments I need to make would be gratefully received.

David
(Using Windows 7 and slow ADSL BT broadband)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2019 10:27 #2 by admin
Not much to go on here - "it doesn't work" :-)

Have you done any setup on the ZyXEL? Set your ISP login/password etc ? Selected PPPoE ?

Forum Administrator

• davidfloyd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2019 11:03 #3 by davidfloyd
Thanks for your reply.

As far as I am aware there is no setup procedure required on the Zyxel Multy X - one merely plugs the V130 LAN port to the internet port of the Multy X. That's what I did with the BTHub3 and the internet signal got through to the 3 Ethernet ports and wireless.

As I said the V130 connects to the internet OK when plugged directly to my PC.

Thanks
David

More
18 Mar 2019 11:34 #4 by piste basher
There is no facility on the 130 to set your ISP details so it would only work when connected directly to a PC if you had set up a PPPoE connection using those details on the PC. You have to set the same details in the Zyxel as admin says. The BT hub would have been set up using the same credentials, which is why it works.

• davidfloyd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2019 11:53 #5 by davidfloyd
Thanks,

This is something that I don't understand!!

I have not changed anything on the BTHub - I just plug it in to my computer and internet connection is made. OR I plug it into the Zyxel and internet signal flows without me making any adjustments.

The V130 'Quick Start Guide' says:
3. Installing your Vigor130 modem
2. Connect the LAN port to your router or computer with the RJ-45 cable

etc

So that's why I can't understand why connection is made when using computer but not router as in 2. above.

I am confused about IP addresses :( Could it be anything to do with that? Please ask for any further information that may help you to solve this problem for me.

Many thanks,
David

More
18 Mar 2019 12:40 #6 by piste basher
I've just been looking at the manual for the Multy X (I hadn't heard of this system before) and I see that it doesn't actually have a facility for inputting your connection credentials. So if you powered off the 130 whilst it was connected to the Zyxel it would have no way of re-syncing with your ISP when you powered it back up. Have you tried establishing a PPPoE connection with the 130 connected directly to your PC and then simply unplugging the LAN cable and plugging it into the Multy? This might work, if you're lucky.