Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New user trying to connect Vigor 130 through Zyxel Multy X

• davidfloyd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2019 12:56 #7 by davidfloyd
Yes, that's exactly what I did do. Strange that it works with BTHub.

However I noticed that the IP address of the BTHub changed from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.1 which is the same as the Draytek. And the Zyxel is currently receiving signals from the BTHub with this IP address, but not from the V130.

Baffled (with limited knowledge!)

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2019 13:19 #8 by piste basher
The BT Hub is a "proper" router and will have your username and password stored in it so it is not strange at all that it works. Why not just send the 130 back and use the BT hub as your modem, if you don't want to use its wifi just turn it off and use the Multy X, I assume that's why you bought it?

More
18 Mar 2019 14:00 #9 by admin
Yes, as PB says, it's not "strange" that the BT hub works - you might think you didn't do any setup on it...but that's because BT did it for you :-)

Forum Administrator

• davidfloyd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2019 14:12 #10 by davidfloyd
Thanks for your helpful replies.

Perhaps you don't know the reason why the Vigor 130 'Quick Start Guide' clearly states that as a bridge the V130 can be connected to a router. Zyxel Multy X is a wired and wireless router but cannot connect to the V130. Is DrayTek misrepresenting its functions?

I still have the unfounded inclination of thinking that the problem is to do with IP addresses and/or DHCP

David

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2019 19:23 #11 by adrianh54
Yes the Vigor 130 (a modem) connects to a router. You then need to give the router the details, user name /password etc. so that it can connect to your ISP account. For example, I use a Vigor 13o modem which passes the data to my ASUS RT-AC3200 router in to which I enter the account name/password so that it can negotiate the connection.

Your BT hub is a modem router and is already set up with the account/login details , that is why it works.

The Vigor will connect to a router but the router MUST handle the user account negotiation.

When you connect the Vigor130 direct to a PC the network controller sets up a static(PPOE) connection and negotiates the connection providing you enter the login in details.

Reading the Zyxel user instructions it is made clear that you connect your Zyxel kit to a broadband modem/router which is connected to the internet.(the connection is negotiated)

Zyxel User Manual section 1.3 Getting started :

1) Have a modem or router that is connected to the internet.

• davidfloyd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2019 21:18 #12 by davidfloyd
Problem solved.

I 'factory reset' both the Multy X and the DrayTek v130, and uninstalled the Multy X app from my mobile. (The Zyxel Multy X is controlled via a mobile app.)

I rebooted everything and started afresh with a new new App installation and followed all procedures as instructed. And the ISP details are entered whilst going through the procedures on the app.

I now have internet connection as expected, both wired and wireless.

Maybe I did the initial installation using the BTHub and then swapped over to the Vigor - I cannot really remember the order of things now, but I'm glad to say that, by having a completely fresh start all is well.

Thank you for your patience and time.

David