Router Recommendation

• flash2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Oct 2019 23:26 #1 by flash2
Router Recommendation was created by flash2
I currently have a 2860n+ on a BT FTTC line, and need to connect a second property which has just had FTTP connected (300mb). The second property ISP provide a modem with an Ethernet port and a LinkSYs Velop router plugged into it. I wish to change that router for a Draytek and connect the two properties via VPN(?)

I was looking at a 2862ac, but would ask for any recommendations, as (1) that router has an ADSL modem that I would not use, and (2) I've been very disappointed with the wifi on the 2860 - constant rebooting of the 5g in particular, and terrible range. Wonder if 2862 has improved.
I've also been a little concerned about the 2862 rebooting issues reported in these forums, but this may not be the norm.

Any recommendations/suggestions most appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flash2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Nov 2019 06:51 #2 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: Router Recommendation
Ill answer it myself shall I - I've just read several posts on this forum that the disappearing and weak wifi signal appears to be still an issue on Draytek routers. That issue on my 2860 has never been solved and the 5ghz wifi is unusable as it keeps dropping signal and has done in all the years I've had it.

It looks like the 2862ac has the same issue judging from several posts in the wifi section of this forum - such a shame Draytek. Why aren't you looking at this??

Not sure what to do now - do other routers VPN with a Draytek 2860?

More
01 Nov 2019 11:51 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Router Recommendation
This wifi issue is somewhat bizarre - I've used 2860, 2862, 2925 and 2926 routers and have never had an issue with the 5GHz wifi dropping out. I have, however, had such severe problems with 5GHz on the AP900 and AP902 that I no longer use them on that band, and have reverted to using an old 2925 as an access point instead. The problem with the AP 5GHz was not dropping out, rather it seemed to be something to do with devices not negotiating a valid IP address and/or connection speed dropping to essentially unusable. Maybe a DNS issue? I don't know, as I say I eventually just gave up.

• flash2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Nov 2019 21:21 #4 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: Router Recommendation
Interesting...I wonder if you used iOS/Apple devices ever with the 5Ghz?

More
02 Nov 2019 08:49 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Router Recommendation
Most of the devices I use on wifi are iOS, although the problem with the APs also occurred with a Surface Pro 4. I should have added that there were no issues if I simply switched off 5GHz and let the devices connect on 2.4GHz. Android, iOS and Microsoft devices have no issues with 5GHz on my main 2926 router and subsidiary 2925 used only as an AP.

More
07 Nov 2019 17:49 #6 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Router Recommendation
Interesting.

Personally I like DrayTek routers, but I never buy one with WiFi or any of the other features, I only buy the base model and then add what I need using what I consider best of breed for the function I requre. i.e, I bought someone else Wifi access point, I have someone elses IPPBX and another companies managed switches. To me they are best at routers.

I have 2860 and a 2862, in my opinion, the 2862 is inferior to the 2860 FOR ROUTING. The problem DrayTek have never addressed is the poor modem in the 2862, it keeps dropping the VDSL line and takes ages to reestablish so I may lose 10 minutes connectivity during the working day (not great when you run an IPPBX). I can work around this problem by using a BT modem, then the 2862 is rock solid, but it shouldn't be this way.

If I were setting up again I would probably choose a 2926 as my router (base model), I would the probably add a WiFi MESH network using someone elses kit!

FYI I only tend to keep my routers 2ish years so when I upgrade again, it will probably be the 2926 that I buy, I'll take the 2862 and make it the backup router and then sell the 2860 on ebay.

Iain