EE 4G Mini WiFI & 2862AC

• ashleyajm
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
31 Oct 2019 07:02 #1 by ashleyajm
EE 4G Mini WiFI & 2862AC was created by ashleyajm
I am trying to set-up an EE 4G Mini WiFI as a backup connection to my VDSL connection on my Draytek 2862AC - as anyone got this to work ? I think what I am missing is either an incorrect APN name or username and password (if there required)

what I have tried so far is APN everywhere and either no password or username eesecure and password of secure mode is PAP

any help gratefully received as I am completely stumped

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2019 11:41 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: EE 4G Mini WiFI & 2862AC
Set up the mini wifi as a wifi hotspot as per the EE instructions.

In your 2862 menu under WAN General Setup set the physical mode for WAN2 to be Wireless 5G or 2.4 G depending on which one you want to use.

Under WAN Internet Access Set WAN2 Static or dynamic IP to enable. You can set it to obtain an IP address automatically or specify one if you have set one to your liking on the mini wifi. On the same page use the AP Discovery button to find your Mini WiFi hotspot and add it to the Universal Repeater parameters. Enter the security parameters you have set on the hotspot and Bob's your uncle.

I don't understand why you are messing with APN etc - all of the internet access is handled by the hotspot. Maybe you are trying to use the mini wifi via USB? That isn't how it works - the connection to the 2862 is wireless, not wired.

• ashleyajm
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
31 Oct 2019 12:29 #3 by ashleyajm
Replied by ashleyajm on topic Re: EE 4G Mini WiFI & 2862AC
ok bit weird now, thanks for your replay, I have done as you have suggested and this is what I see now

Dashboard IPv4 Internet access it shows WAN2 Wireless 2.4G / DHCP as disconnected.

However if you go to online status Physical Connection is shows WAN2 status with SSID in green correctly, channel is 12, security disable (Just while I'm testing) PHY 11g rate 45 and Single Stregth 92%

still no internet via the hotspot

• ashleyajm
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
31 Oct 2019 13:06 #4 by ashleyajm
also the other weird thing is it shows Line as ethernet even though under general setup its now configured as 2.4G wireless - very odd

More
31 Oct 2019 15:26 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: EE 4G Mini WiFI & 2862AC
Have you set the status of the WAN2 connection as Failover? That would account for what you're seeing - it will only show connected when it has "failed over". If set to "Always On" with no load balancing you can use the Load Balance/Route Policy settings to determine when it actually gets used - presumably you want it only when WAN1 fails?

• ashleyajm
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
31 Oct 2019 16:16 #6 by ashleyajm
Ok getting closer now - dashboard shows connected now I made your suggested changes, and I can see the Draytek has an IP address of 192.168.1.191 (internal network is 10.10.10.0/24

still no internet connection when connected to the draytek though, I have looked at the filter policy and enables allow all out but still no joy

close now which makes it all the more frustrating!

anything I need to do to allow internet access out ? (NOTE: I am still waiting for VDSL to be installed so this WiFi EE 4G device is the only internet connection available)