Vigor2620Ln admin user change

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jun 2020 00:46 #13 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor2620Ln admin user change

admin wrote:
You're ignoring my previous point: People do not use sufficiently long/complex passwords, in which case a different username extends it.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm stating it's wrong.

My original point that 5+10 characters is just as secure as 15 characters stands

Not when you know what those 5 characters are.

and is relevant in the context where someone wants a different username to 'aid security' - the solution is to add that username or any other characters to the password
which is then equally secure.

You seem to be of the opinion, that changing the username has no value at all. All I can say, is that DEC disagreed with you, Microsoft disagrees with you and I disagree with you.

To give a practical scenario:

You just returned from https://shodan.io , with your list of Draytek Routers - and you type the IP address of the first one in the list, into your Web Browser. It responds and says "Username" and "Password" please. What are you going to type into that "Username" box? If "Admin" is not valid, we've 'removed the low-hanging fruit'.

Re: 'long' passwords: I wouldn't recommend them (especially on Draytek kit) - a) for the reasons Microsoft give and b) because Draytek Routers mishandle them with monotonous regularity. (There have been several recent forum posts, where the cause of the problem turned out to be a (silently) truncated password).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• timo_w2s
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jun 2020 14:10 #14 by timo_w2s
Replied by timo_w2s on topic Re: Vigor2620Ln admin user change
Wherever possible I will continue to use a username that isn't admin/administrator/root or my name as it just seems more secure to me. It's a shame DrayTek don't hold that view for the Vigor2620Ln.

More
29 Jun 2020 21:07 #15 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2620Ln admin user change
It's their entry level LTE model, like the Vigor 2762 is to the Vigor 2862.

Forum Administrator